Solved: Trouble Installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bboeri

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop that was upgraded to Win XP Home. All of a sudden I get an error message on boot up that says Windows could not start because windows\system32\config\system file is missing - try to repair with original CD. I decided to do a clean install using the upgrade disk (the only one that I have). When I try to enter setup, it tells me that there is no Windows operating system on the computer so I need to place the original CD in the drive. The only one that I have is the upgrade disk previously installed. Is there any way to get it to accept the upgrade disk? Thanks for the help.

Bob

This sounds like the hard drive may be going bad . . or has gone bad . . first thing I would do is download and run the Dell diagnostics to rule that out . .

If you have data you want to save, you can then try a repair install . . This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you are prepared for a clean install ( which will wipe the drive and start over ), this is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

You can reinstall using the upgrade disc, it will ask for the prior O/S CD to qualify for the upgrade. . you can use any prior operating system cd to do that.

While you are at it, I'd check for a BIOS update since that machine did not come with XP

Well, if you hadn't of tried to re-install the OS, you might have been able to fix the current version that was running.
Microsoft had an excellent document on how to recover your OS's registry files from the system restore folders .

Possibly corrupt registry was the culprit.
For upgrade version, you need to have an legit copy of windows 98/me for it to function correctly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online