1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble networking WinXP and Vista Computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by madhartigan, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madhartigan

madhartigan Thread Starter

Hi.

I was hoping to find some assistance with a problem.

I have a computer that I just installed Windows XP on and another that I just installed Vista Ultimate x64 on.

I'm unable to get the Windows XP computer to see the Vista Computer.

When I go to "My Network Places" on the XP computer and click the "View workgroup computers" link, I get the following error:

[​IMG]

• Both computers are connected by wire to a Buffalo WZR2-G300N router named "Alexandra".
    • I've set both of their Workgroup names to WORKGROUP.
    • I've run the File and Printer sharing Wizard on the XP computer
    • There are no third-party firewalls active on either computer
    • Windows Firewall is disabled on both computers
    • Both computers have the same username and password and I'm the Administrator on both.
    • Both computers can ping each other with no problems.
    • I've shared a folder on my XP computer
    • All of the necessary Sharing and Discovery Buttons in Vista are Green (On)
    • The Vista computer, when I view the map, shows the XP computer, see below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of how the XP computer is setup on the network:

[​IMG]

I'm at a loss as to what I can do to remedy this problem. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

TIA!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming you've enabled file and printer sharing on the XP it is most likely a 3rd party firewall (security suite) blocking. Also ...

Make sure the following services are running (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services). The Startup Type on my machine is 'Automatic' except for the one indicated.

Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Location Awareness (Startup Type 'Manual')
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

3. madhartigan

Thank you very much for the reply!!

Yes, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled on both computers

Considering that both installs are fresh installs with nothing loaded after the install besides mobo drivers and updates there's no way a third-party firewall could be installed on either computer.

All of the services you listed are running automatically on both computers except for the NLA which is Manual on the XP computer and Automatic on the Vista computer.

Thank you again for the reply and I hope you can provide additional diagnostics that can narrow down what may be my problem.

4. HCD

HCD

Problem probably down to fact that the Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component is not installed on your Windows XP-based computer. Rather than clogging up this page with what that means click on following link and it should give you all the answers! (I hope !)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, LLTD does nothing but put the XP computers into Vista's eye-candy map, it does nothing for file/print sharing.

6. HCD

HCD

7. madhartigan

Thank you for the great suggestion HCP!!

Unfortunately, that file is also included automatically with the SP3 update, therefore when I tried to install it, I was told that a newer version was installed with the update.

JohnWill, I sure wish the file did more than provide the eye-candy, which, as can be seen in my screenshot of the Vista Network Map is fully functioning. That's what's bugging me. The Network Map shows the XP computer (Computer-xxxxxxx) but I'm unable to do anything beyond that.

HCP, I'll read through the link you provided. It looks like some good information. Hopefully that will work but, keep an eye on this thread in case I'm still stuck. Do you happen to remember what file you downloaded in order to make networking work?

EDIT: I don't know what to say but I just went back to the computer and attempted to go to the Network and Sharing Center (which I usually do by going to My Network, then click the Network and Sharing Center link at the top). Well when "My Network" opened up, the shares randomly showed up. I'm able to see them from XP as well. I know I didn't change anything. It just randomly started working. I don't know what would explain this, I'm just happy that it works.

Thank you to everyone for helping.

8. JohnWill

Computers are a wonderful thing. :D

One thing that happens is that sometimes computer browsing takes up to 15 minutes after all the computers are booted to get it's act together.

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page in the upper left corner.© :)

9. madhartigan

I'm comfortable with that as an answer. I'm hoping that's all it was so I won't run into problems in the future.

10. JohnWill

Well, since you have more than one computer, you can be sure you'll have some sort of problems in the future! :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/717463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice