1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble Opening Desktop Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deke40, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Please bare with me on this one.

I run W98SE and this is all new to me. My daughter runs XP.

I created some desktop shortcuts from my daughter's favorites(bookmarks). When you click on one the "Open With" window pops up asking which program to use to open it. IE is highlighted by default and all you have to do is click "Ok" and the shortcut opens the assigned task.

What would cause this and what is the remedy to rectify this?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

How did you move/copy them originally?

Usually when I do a file send to desktop. I click on favoties to show the favorite bar on the left. I right click on the favorite link. I pick send to. I pick desktop.

By doing this they should still have the blue e symbol and double click should open up a web browser.

3. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

I wasn't sure that was the way I did it so I called my daughter and had her do it that way and the "Open With" popup window still comes up.

4. Augie65

Augie65

When the Open With dialog window open and IE is highlighted, check the box below the window: Always use the selected program to open this kind of file then OK.

5. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

That is what I had her do and it doesn't help. When you click on the shortcut is does the samething.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is Internet Explorer selected as the "default browser" in Internet Options > Programs?

Try checking the box there and also click "reset web settings" if that alone doesn't do it.

And verify that when you right click on the shortcut and select Properties, and the General tab -- it says "Internet Shortuct" as the file type.

7. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

RR-Soon as I can get hold of my daughter I will try those out.

That might be the one as I forgot to mention she got rid of Firefox and probably didn't check those and I was in a hurry when I was there.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, that would be my bet. Similar problems always occur when you uninstall 3rd party browsers that were previously selected as the default.

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

10. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

RR-Finally got my daughter on the phone.

Put a tick in the IE browser thing and that didn't do it.

Reset Web Settings did the trick.

Thanks everybody.

I guess the old adage of "You can't see the forest for the trees" comes to mind because I didn't think of doing the most basic of things to correct the problem.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:) (y)

I'll mark the thread Solved then, but be aware this option is also available to you in the Thread Tools menu.

12. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Thanks RR. I knew that but everything including my mind seems to be slipping away with my approaching old age.:D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!