1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble opening file type

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Hairetos, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairetos

Hairetos Thread Starter

Alright, after recent complications with the AutoHotKey program, I reinstalled it and am trying to rebuild my scripts. Unfortunately, every time I try to open a .ahk script with the autohotkey.exe file, the "Open this" menu ignores my selection and suggests Adobe Reader and Notepad, neither of which will work.

How can I get my computer to read this file extension with the autohotkey.exe application?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently the 15th time's the charm. Sorry guys.

2. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

The Autohotkey.exe program is not an editor. It is the program that executes your scripts.

Suppose your ".AHK" file is named "H1.AHK". If you open H1.AHK with AutoHotkey.exe - that means you want to execute the script H1.AHK.

If you want to edit H1.AHK, it is a plain text file. So use an editor like NotePad. Except NotePad is just a very weak editor with almost no features. It is only good for using as a demonstration or if you can't get ahold of any other editors.

There a at least 100 excellent free editors available. If you don't know much about editors, choosing the one that's best for you could be a very long and difficult project.

If you Google on "best freeware editors" I'm sure you will find some discussions on some of the best freeware editors.

Here are a couple of links you can try:

http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/

http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2007/03/17/the-46-best-ever-freeware-utilities-updated-march-2007/

I use Notetab to edit all my AHK scripts and have been using it for years. It works very well.

However, there are many excellent freeware editors available - I have found PSP and Context are two of the best.

But when it comes to editors. people seem to get very emotional and have strong preferences for their own favorites.

Selecting the best editor means evaluating at least one or two dozen features and it can take a very long time.

So, good luck.

If I can help, let me know what features you are looking for.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!