1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble opening pdf files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mike McBain, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike McBain

Mike McBain Thread Starter

G'day Magicians

I am running Windows XP, Firefox 1.5.0.4 and Adobe Reader 7.0.8 and for the last week or so whenever I try to open a pdf file off the net I get a blank screen with the word Done in the bottom LH corner?

The only way I can open a pdf file is to first right click and then Save Link As and then open it up off my hard drive. It's driving me nuts so hope someone can offer a suggestion.

I've tried re-installing both Firefox and Adobe Reader but still the same.

Mike.

2. hewee

hewee

I would get Foxitreader. It is free and open right up and you can make it your default too.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

You cab get a new install version but I and most have used the zip version.
    Just unzip the file and click on it and use it. It is just the one file and no install is needed.

3. Mike McBain

OK Hewee tried that and Foxit opens pdf files on my hard drive OK but it gives the same error message when trying to open off the net?

Something about pdf could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in my preferences?

But I made Foxit the default and when I check the pdf file associations it says that Foxit is it?

Any further suggestions?

Mike.

4. hewee

hewee

I have both Adobe Reader and Foxit and made Foxit my default but if I click on a .pdf online darn if Adobe Reader does not want to start up and open the file still. I have not been able to keep Adobe Reader from opening a .pdf file if I am online. But I can right click and save the .pdf file and then just click on it so then Foxit open them.

Don't know if you can disable more on your newer version of Adobe Reader or not. It is Adobe Reader giving you the error still is it not?

I got to go now but I hope you can get it fixed. I know I hate Adobe Reader so live with the trouble it gives me by opening things online.

Is there more to the error you get? Post it and someone may know.

5. cga1982

cga1982

When I had this problem, I had to open Acrobat Reader first, go back to my browser and then click on the pdf file on the net. The pdf file then opened up OK.

Without loading Acrobat Reader first, I got a blank screen with the word Done at the bottom and noting else happening.

6. Mike McBain

Hewee

No there isn't anything more in the error message

cga1982

Mine won't open pdf files off the net even with Adobe Reader open?

It's nearly frustrating enough to drive me back to IE!

Mike.

7. hewee

hewee

Sounds like a pain and on this drive I am using now Adobe Reader is not going to be installed on the drive. I never like how I did not want the plugin to open Adobe Reader when online but Adobe Reader does what it wants too.

Can you just open Adobe Reader by itself. I mean not opning a .pdf file but just the Adobe Reader program?

You could try a uninstall of Adobe Reader but look in Adobe Reader folder and see if you can find a install log.
    Adobe Reader also installs in many other places on your PC. Then your want to clean the registry.
    So I have some notes of all the places on my other drive where it had things all over the place on my PC that has 98SE. But I screwed something up so swap out the drive.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you got Firefox set to download pdf files rather than open them?? I do on purpose as i usually like to read them offline. Look under Tools/Options/download/download options

9. finwood

finwood

I use Netscape, and when I had this problem I went to

Options > Downloads In the File Types associations I have pdf files associated with and to be opened with AcroExch. If I remember correctly, I had to remove something from the plug ins. I also have Adobe Acrobat Pro, and I think I changed a setting in it, also. This was some time ago, so I hope it helps you. But now, when I click on a pdf file, Adobe Acrobat opens it, and if I want to keep it , I do a Save As.

10. Mike McBain

Thanks for all the suggestions and somewhere in trying them we must have tweaked a solution because it appears to be working again now.

Mike.

11. hewee

hewee

Good to hear Mike :)

12. Et Al

Et Al

Adobe has an update manager that wants to connect to the internet and perform continueous updates. I had an older full version of Adobe Acrobat Reader v.5, which the newer Adobe Acrobat update manager kept squashing. The conflict also prevented PDF files from being read.

I blocked the newer (v.7+) Acrobat Reader update manager from accessing the internet and the problems stopped. I also took out the newer version of the free Acrobat Reader. My older version has not had any problems handling PDF files.

13. Mike McBain

Et Al

My problem exactly, thank you very much I will do the same.

Mike.

14. Shadowsjack

Shadowsjack

Does anyone know how to disable Acrobat Reader from changing the browser settings upon boot up ? It affects both Firefox and Internet Explorer and the culprit seems to be acroiehelper.dll so the question is what will happen when this Dynamic Link Library is deleted ?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!