Solved: Trouble Playing Video Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

killamonk

Somehow this morning my computer began giving me gpf errors in dibeng.dll whenever I attempt to open a video file. Parusal of the web has led me to conclude that this has something to do with my video driver. I'm running an old Gateway 2000 with Windows 98SE. The driver installed is one I obtained from the Gateway support web-site some months back. I attempted re-installing this driver over itself but continued getting errors. I then attempted to remove the driver altogether but each time I try this I get an mgsrv32 error and the computer completely freezes. So, I'm stuck. I can't get the apparently bad driver off the computer to re-install it. This is all very vexing, as the computer was working fine when I went to bed last night. Incidentally, whenever I try opening Windows Media Player or Winamp I get the gpf in dibeng.dll error. Real Player opens but when I try opening a video file I get the error. Is dibeng.dll corrupt? Is my video card itself the problem?

Try starting up in Safe Mode and uninstalling the existing drivers.

Instructions here if you need them:http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

If you cannot uninstall the old drivers (look both in Add/Remove programs and in the Device Manager for entries) you can also try overinstalling the new drivers from a VGA setting. You can load VGA drivers, usually, by running msconfig and selecting that option from the Advanced tab.

Also, if you want to try this first, it's worth a shot:

Start > Shutdown > Restart in MS-DOS mode.

At the c:\windows\ prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

and use your arrow keys to select a started registry prior to the problem. Make sure they are not very old as can happen if scanregistry is missing or disabled in msconfig startups.

killamonk

Well, restoring the registry solved my little problem. Funny I didn't think of that considering the fact that I've done it several times previously. I guess that just goes to show: try the simplest things first. Anyway, thanks RR.

:cool: :)

I'm glad I got the quick edit in, almost neglected to mention it.

I'll mark the thread "Solved" but for future reference this option is available to you in the Thread Tools" tab as well.

You're most welcome for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online