1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble reformatting a used computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wussok, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wussok

wussok Thread Starter

Hi,

For another computer, I have two maxtor harddrives connected via IDE to a P4P800-E Asus motherboard.

When booting up, the system goes through some check with something called "FastBuild" which I have never heard about. I think it may have something to do with having the two harddrives work together. This computer here was bought used so maybe the previous user customized the bios?

Anyway, if I try to reformat as usual, running the Win XP Pro Cd while booting up, and install as usual, the setup files load up fine. Then, when I hit enter (to setup Win XP), there's a 25 second delay where the bottom of the screen (grey area) says "Please Wait..." and then the screen loads up where it should show my partitions and allow me to choose which to install.

THere's no highlight bar - instead, it says
    "Unknown Disk"
    <this drive cannot be found>
    and it says this twice - I'm assuming because I have two of these harddrives - both of which cannot be read.

So 'delete partition' doesn't work - so my only option is Enter = Install.

Then the following message comes up:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

THe problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8C051B0, 0x00000000, 0xF84C6E4C, 0x00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F84C6E4C base at F84A2000, Datestamp 3b7d8507 "

I have not tried any of the suggestions above - partly because I don't know if I should but mainly because I don't know how toshut off BIOS memory or what I should take off in SAfe Mode (No new hardware has been recently added).

Any input would be great.

Thanks again!
    wussok

2. jnewcity

jnewcity

Does the computer have a working version of windows on it right now? Can you boot into windows currently?

If so, right-click for properties on your hard drives in my computer, go to tools, and check the drives for errors... check both boxes to automatically repair and scan for bad sectors.

You can also check the bios and disable that feature you mentioned... I'd simply reset the bios to factory defaults.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The FastBuild is the BIOS of a RAID controller thats likely included on the motherboard.

If you want to wipe the entire drive out I'd recommend using a program like KillDisk to completely erase the drive: http://www.killdisk.com/

The try installing Windows again.

4. wussok

wussok Thread Starter

Hi, I used killdisk and it still says the same thing when I try to install. I get to the part where it should ask which partition to install windows, and I get

Unknown Disk

<There is no disk in this drive.>
    Unknown Disk

<There is no disk in this drive.>

Instead of saying something like

Unpartitioned 160000mb or something.

jnewcity:
    windows is not installed on these disks so I cannot do that.

THanks,
    Bryan

5. Hughv

Hughv

I think you'll find these drives are set to use RAID in the BIOS. Find this entry (Peripherals?) and change it to IDE mode.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you have three ide connectors on that board. The two standard controlled by the intel controller AND a single ide controlled by the promise controller. I am betting you have these drives connected to the promise controller. You can do one of two things;
    1 Connect the drives to the standard ide controller
    2 Set the promise controller to ide mode. After that you will need to load the promise driver via the F6 prompt during setup. Note there are different promise drivers depending on the mode selected ie raid or non-raid.

FWIW I would just use the standard ide.

7. wussok

wussok Thread Starter

Hi,

the two harddrives are connected via 1 cable, which are connected to a slot in a different corner on the motherboard than the rest of the IDE slots. So, I moved the cable to the IDE beside the CDROM IDE slots and I figured these are the Intel ones. I run everything and now there's an underscore (like DOS in the top left corner) "_", blinking, and then the underscore goes a space down, still blinking. This is when i expect it to run the CD and its not. I tried putting the IDE back to how it was and this sitll happens. According to BIOS, its not recognizing the CDROMs drives anymore. Also, in my BIOS, I can't find any settings that change from RAID to IDE or anything like that. There is something called Enhanced and Compatibility or something under IDE Configuration (Bios is American Megatrends)

8. TheOnlyGonzo

TheOnlyGonzo

Now double check the connection for your CDROM drive. You might have knocked it loose when moving the HDD's over. Also make sure that connecting the HDD's to the IDE side did not change any boot configuration in the BIOS. (make sure the CDROM is still on the boot to list)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As posted above, go back and recheck ALL connection and jumper settings. The hd should be connected to ide1 and the CD/DVD type drives to ide2. Set jumpers accordingly.
    Once you are done, enter the bios and see if all of the drives are detected.

BTW the promise settings are there, read your manual. It will show you where the settings are located.

10. Hughv

Hughv

Im My ASUS BIOS, it's under Advanced/Onboard Devices.
    You can find your own manual at Asus.com, but I'll bet it's the same.

11. wussok

wussok Thread Starter

Hi again,

thank you for all your fast input, this is great.

Good news is, I disabled the promise settings and am now running on IDE instead of RAID. The CD-rom works now and I can run the windows.
    Now, when I try to install, I get the same error (and along with the "Unknown Disk" as posted earlier.

But, the error following that has changed slightly. It now says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space (I do obviously). If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters (What does video adapter have to do with this?)

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x807C6F65, 0xF80D0798, 0x00000000).

12. TheOnlyGonzo

TheOnlyGonzo

A few things to try.

1. Attempt an install with only one stick of RAM, if it fails try again with any other modules you have. Always with just one stick installed.
    2. Attempt to install with only one HDD installed. Make sure it has the proper jumper settings for the position on the IDE cable that it is on.
    3. From a working computer download seatools (Maxtor was bought out by Seagate) and run the HDD diagnostics on both drives but only while one is installed.

Let us know and Good Luck.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think the Unknown Disks are removal drives. You should disconnect any card readers that are connected to the computer before installing Windows or the drive letters may not be correct, mainly drive C will be one of the card slots rather then the hard drive with Windows installed.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If windows was installed on a drive connected to the promise controller, you cannot change the mode of the controller and expect it to run. As posted above there are different drivers used depending on the mode selected ie raid or non-raid.

I thought you were doing a clean install of windows. Is that not correct?

15. wussok

wussok Thread Starter

Trying each harddrive individually, the same errors occur exactly. It might be note to odd that only with one harddrive, the screen still says "Unknown Disk" twice, as above - when I assumed that this is repeated twice to show two harddrives. This is not the case I guess since its shows twice with one HD connected.

With one RAM stick, when I hit enter, the blue screen STOP error no longer appears, but the following does:

"Windows XP PRofessional Setup

Setup cannot install to the selected partition ( I didn't choose any partition, I just hit Enter = Install)

You can only install to GPT disks on IA-64 machines and MBR disks on X-86 machines.

You can only upgrade installations on GPT disk on IA-64 machines and MBR on X-86 machines.

- To go back to the previous screen press Enter

Enter = Continue"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice