1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble Typing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Daveman1, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

Frequintly while typing here or elseware, about now... the screen suddenly scrolls down and sometimes to somewere else.
    I have been two or three lines into a response, and suddenly I'm somewere else. Then I have to find my way back to were I was and start over.
    Is my thumb hitting the laptop mouse pad thing, or is this something others have had happen.
    I can work around it, but I'd like to know if it's me or if it's a common problem I can fix.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    it does sound like you are inadvertently touching the touchpad. I have had that problem myself. I use a wireless nouse now and set the touchpad settings to disable when an exterior mouse is detected.

3. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

I also use a wireless mouse but have not found the setting to disable the touchpad. I will look at that. thanks.

4. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

Ok I give up. How do I disable the touchpad? LOL

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What Make and model is your laptop? All 3 of mine are Dell's I can tell you where to make the adjustment on dells

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    the setting is in Control Panel Mouse. But different manufacturers it may be different.

7. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

This is an asus laptop. The exact model can be found in my other thread "webroot won't die" I can maby figure out how to get that info here if nessasary but I already marked it as solved. Don't know if that makes a difference.
    I went to control panel>mouse and found asus touchpad, but looking at "change setting" witch was the only option I saw, I got into stuff that was new to me, and I've learned to be careful there.
    I've also been careful not to touch the pad during this and have had no issues so that probably is the prob. still being a figer pecking typer, I would like to turn it off.
    Funny how once you know how it,s easy, but new stuff is hard.:rolleyes:

Found a new signature there I did.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I do not have any positive experiences with Asus Laptops, Both that I have owned were returned for refund. There is usually a check box the might say something like Disable touchpad if Exterior Mouse detected, or something along those lines. There may also be a function key combo on the keyboard to disable the touch pad.

9. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

I'm surprised to here that about asus. Back in 2000 when I build my first computer (with much help) asus was the best motherboard from the info I could get so that's what I used. The last laptop and this one is an asus because I figured if they make the best motherboards, they ought to know what hadware to include with it. I may be basing my opinion on out dated info however, it's worked good for me.
    Back to the subject at hand.
    I looked again and found a check box for atomatic settings but it was shaded and not clickable. I may have to just keep my fat thumbs off the touchpad. Mabey someone with an asus will gome along with the answer. Other wise, Thanks for replying. Like your avatar by the way.
    Dave

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Asus Motherboards are great. I have never had good luck with Asus Laptops. I have been building since the early 80's. Since the late 90's I built using Gigabyte boards for my personal builds. If I build for others it is a 50/50 split between Gigabyte and Asus. As far as laptops for me and my Family I will stick to Dell. I have never had a bad Dell laptop. I have 3 of them One of them is nearly 10 years old and still going strong.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

Attached Files:

12. tewitt1949

tewitt1949

A quick question. I have the same problem with typing, but if you disable the keypad and your external mouse quiets working, how can you navigate when you key pad is disabled? Even to reactivate the keypad? I have HP 8.1.

13. Daveman1

Daveman1 Thread Starter

That Worked!
    Thanks
    I do have the same concerns though as twitt1949. but I'm happy now.

I here you Jay. Good info, Thanks. Maby I'll research more for my next one without blindly buying asus. I still like my last two though, even with windows 8. :rolleyes:

14. donetao

donetao Banned

You are very welcome! I wouldn't be to concerned about having touch pad turned off and your external mouse quitting. A new mouse and a restart should get you back. I'm a big fan of logltech external mouse. They do wear out. Other members may have more suggestions for you!(y)

15. tewitt1949

tewitt1949

One thing I've been going to try is find a stiff piece of plastic and cover the touch pad with 2 sided tape. The tape will hold the plastic slightly above the pad. Don't know if it would work or not.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!