1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: trouble with apache rewrite

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by gurutech, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I'm running a web server that uses a php file to "rewrite" content on top of a png file, and it was working fine while I was using Fedora 17 (and still works), but I am trying to get this working on a Centos 6.3 machine, with the same paths, etc...

What I am getting on my Centos machine is no image at all, where on Fedora I will get an image with a time stamp on top of it, which refreshes based on the time the image loads.

I have a .htaccess file inside this folder, which simply states:
    Code:
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule (.*).png timestamp.php

I have the same file on both machines, and it works on Fedora, but not Centos. I have checked that both the curl and gd options are loaded within httpd.conf.

Not sure what else to check. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. ehymel

ehymel

Hard to say with the information given. I would try to troubleshoot whether your rewrite rule is being used (check your server logs, for example... they are your friend!), and if so then do some troubleshooting within your timestamp.php code (again, server logs can be a wealth of information).

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

Nothing in the logs (regarding this issue at least), but I did fix the problem about 20 mins ago....

I replaced the hostname in my script with the IP address of the host, and it's all working now.

Still don't know what would cause it to do that, considering I can ping the host via hostname with no problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!