1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble with Firewall? Fire wall?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rammyboy, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Ive got a dynamode 54mbs 802.11g router and i had to reset it the other day and now i cannot access other computers in my work group?
    I get this message
    "\\Study is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse.
    The network path was not found"
    I typed this in on help and support and it said something about me having to open firewall ports or something?
    I know nothing about this so could someone help me?

2. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

I think the thing i need to do is disable the firewall but it is built into the router and i dont know how? Please help me?

3. surveyranger

surveyranger

the firewalls configured on the computers probably need reset to allow the new network that was created when you reset your router.

what firewalls and OS's are on the computers?
    for windows xp firewall, running the network wizard again should do the trick. probably couldn't hurt for the others.

4. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

I thought it was something to do with the software firewalls(windows, norton firewall) but after reinstalling windows xp on both pc's ive found out its not.

My network is one main pc with the router connected to it through a cable and then another pc with a wireless card.

5. surveyranger

surveyranger

with both computers on and connected to the router, turn off the firewalls and wait for a couple seconds. then try to access the other computer's shared folders. any luck? if so, then it is probably the software firewalls.

also, what model of dynamode router is it?

lastly, have you tried pinging each computer (run->type 'cmd'->type 'ping' and then the ip address of the other computer. to get the ip address click run->type 'cmd'->then type 'ipconfig'. it will be listed next to "IP Address"

6. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Both software firewalls off and same message?
    Its a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G

Thanks Alex

7. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Oh and yeh i can ping the other PC and the router from this one.
    Thanks Alex

8. surveyranger

surveyranger

man, sounds complicated.
    if you type: http://192.168.1.1 into the internet explorer bar, then you should enter the router. from there you be able to change settings as described in the manual.
    if u can't find your manual, here's a copy: http://www.dynamode.co.uk/support/adsl_r-adsl-c4wg.html

be sure to write down the current settings if you change them so you can change them back if need be. there are descriptions of what the settings are and what to change.

best of luck

9. rammyboy

rammyboy Thread Starter

Ive sorted it, rebooted both pc's and changed firewalls and it seems to work? So thanks anyway.

10. surveyranger

surveyranger

glad to know it worked out for ya.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice