1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble with online streaming audio

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by ascension15, Jun 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ascension15

ascension15 Thread Starter

There is a web site where you can listen to a audio file right off the web site(www.ebert-movies.com). If you haven't recognized it by the address, it is a film critic who posts his live voice reviews on the front page of the site. The deal is, I downloaded Real Player 7.0 in order to listen to them. Fine. Now for the second week in a row, he has posted audio files that don't want to work. When I put the URL address shortcut for a specific review, it is
    this:http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandthemovies/mp3/ThePatriot.mp3. Notice the "mp3." I looked at audio setup on the web site, and it has separate audio-listening programs other than Real Player that are meant for mp3(Freeam, among others). I have tried them ALL but the files still will not run in the programs. Is he posting corrupt files? Are the programs all messed up? ARE THERE ANY OTHER MP3 BASED LISTENING PROGRAMS OUT THERE? IF SO, WHERE CAN I GET THEM?

2. RandyG

RandyG

I've tried the link you listed in Realplayer 7, and I listened to a good clip of the movie, and then the reviews. I then listened to a few more. A problem with Streaming over the Internet is Buffering and Net congestion. I attempted this at 11:30 am in Ireland, which would be about 03:30 am in California. I connected very quickly. If you are trying during peak times, then it's very possible that you will be encountering these errors.

3. ascension15

Well, when I try to run the program and the audio review, an error message says that it will not run and "may be a corrupted file." If it was just peak time, it would simply have trouble connecting, and no error message.

4. RandyG

RandyG

It was not my intention to seem like I was blowing you off with that "it worked for me" spiel. Sorry, I should have explained why I ruled a faulty link out. I spent several fruitless days trying to connect to a radio broadcast that is streamed over the net in Ireland, and I kept getting these frustrating errors, some of the same that you were experiencing. I got onto the Webmasters at the radio stations site, as well as onto Real Player's web guru's. 2 explanations were given.

1 was that every "stream" has a maximum number of users that can access it at any given time. Standard licensing from Real is 100 streams at once. This could meant that they have 100 people accessing the same stream at the same time, or they could have multiple streams, let's say 4, and have 25 people accessing all of them simultaneously. If the 101st person tries to access it simultaneously, he could end up bumping one of the others off, or could receive error messages, not necessarily related to limited licensing. The fix to this is to have the companies providing the streams buy a larger user license, but they want to see how profitable it will be for them first.

The second excuse ties into the first, and comes to the net congestion I was talking about. Depending on the number of users that are accessing the subserver, not neccessarily the same website, will degrade the quality of play, so as to be garbled, or even nonexistant if the bandwidth is insufficient. Seeing as it was Ebert's site, I went for the assumption of peak times, as opposed to limited streams, but either could be the cause. My only point was to let you know, that despite the frustration, it was not the webmasters fault for putting a faulty link, despite the error messages you received. I had accessed the streams during a slow time, and suggest you do the same.

5. ascension15

Don't worry now. The links on the site are now working fine. I don't know how, but suddenly they did. Thank you very much for your input, though. I took into consideration what you had suggested.

SOLVED admin.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/36800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice