1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trouble with Screen shots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by margaret zanoni, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. margaret zanoni

margaret zanoni Thread Starter

I hope you can help me with my latest problem.......the photo's we took on holiday are really good (well we think so...)!

I took a few screen shots of them and the people suddenly acquired 'scabby' faces - or white bits appeared on them. I am uploading a couple of examples.

I have never had this trouble with Hunter before but did update to version 5 recently. It only seems to happen with people not landscapes.

Thank you for any help you can give......regards Margaret

Attached Files:

2. jdean

jdean

I'd guess that this is a problem with your screen capture program. If you want help with this, I'd suggest contacting their technical support people. I suspect there's an option that you need to change.

However, the real question is why you'd want to do a screen capture of a photo. I can't imagine why you'd need to do that. If you are trying to convert your images to a smaller size, then use a program designed for that purpose. There are lots of programs like this; my favorite is the FastStone image viewer (free), which has a batch conversion option for doing things like this.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

The problem is that your 1st and 3rd picture are JPGs, but the 2nd and 4th pictures are GIFs. GIFs are limited to 256 colors, and that is not enough of a range to get good tonal transitions on people's faces.

The lost of color depth (256 colors vs the millions possible in JPG) is evident in other places of your examples also, but you are not noticing them as easily you do on people's faces.

Your screen capture program or process should be altered or adjusted to save as JPG or PNG or BMP to capture the full color range. GIF is not the format to use for photographs.

4. margaret zanoni

margaret zanoni Thread Starter

Many thanks - it was the setting.....when I updated I didn't check to make sure it was set to jpeg. Now I have corrected it everything is fine - problem solved!

Once again many thanks for your help.......regards Margaret

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

Now, set this thread to Solved. Just about only you can do that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!