1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: troubled login XP PRO

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rok7751, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rok7751

rok7751 Thread Starter

I just did a clean install with XP PRO disk which went well and the only user is Administrator with password. no other logon used. problem is i can't make any changes , install drivers etc. i get message that i need to be logged on with administrator privledges which of course i am. i tried going into safe mode and log in as administrator but get same message. could there be a way to bypass this block ??

2. baladio

baladio

In the start menu, above Turn Off Computer, does it say "Log Off (administrator account name)"? Also, you may want to check User Accounts (in Control Panel), and make sure it isn't automatically using a Guest account. If you still can't figure it out, try logging off (from start menu), logging on without typing a password, and see if that makes a difference. If not, try logging on again, this time typing the password. I don't know if this will work or not.

3. rok7751

rok7751 Thread Starter

The start Menu shows "administrator" -logon window will not work without password. funny thing. the lower part of logon window says "after you log on you can add or change accounts"
    Guest user is off..

4. rok7751

rok7751 Thread Starter

Painful lesson, but problem resolved- all my frustration and lost time on XP Pro Install was only because i wasn't paying attention during the setup -. i did the format/install again this morning and kept notes on any input i had to do during the install. this time i noticed on the ["computer Name and Password" window] a note-[use this account for full access].. i was careful filling this out. then the last input [next window] you see is ["To Begin- type user name and password"] i thought this was where you chose the name and p/w you wanted for yourself. Actually this is the initial login and gets you into windows where you can make all the changes etc. the devil is always in the details !!
    Thanks to all for help and suggestions!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice