1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Troubles transferring Windows Mail Vista to Win7 Windows Live Mail 2011

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HOBOcs, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    MS and their mail systems are giving me grief. I have a Vista 32 PC using "Windows Mail" and want to transfer email folders (lots) and messages to Windows 7 using Windows Live Mail 2011.

Note: Windows Mail was a replacement for Outlook express on Vista.
    Windows Live Mail 2011 is a replacement for Windows Mail on Windows 7.

I tried a couple of things.

1) Basic Export and ImportI exported relavent files: Account info, Contacts and all the messages to a folder (in Windows Mail format) on old computer and used the old "Addias" transfer - copied folder to stick and RAN it over to the new computer.
    - Imported (using the Windows Mail format) the Account info successfully,
    - imported the Contact info successfully.
    - Import Messages - appeared at first to be successful

Issue: Message folders appear to be renamed and some folder names have been truncated, not all folders appear to be there. (Looks like "long Name folders greater that 8 characters get truncated)

So...

2) Tried the "Easy transfer mechanism (Vista and Win7 transfer utility) - but couldn't get the new computer to see the Vista even though I could see them on the network. I thought that this would transfer the folder names correctly.
    I'm about to try a time consuming effort of coping folder by folder (export/Import)
    What I am more concerned about is that the individaul messages may have the same issue Ie not all coming accross and subject names being lost.

Looking for alternative or third party transfer solutions?
    Any help, direction appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I get a little nauseous just thinking about Windows Live Mail 2011, much less expending effort to use it, but I would try installing it on the Vista and see if it has the option right up front of importing stuff from Windows Mail. If it does, and happens to work correctly, then all you would have to do is find its files and copy them over.

By the way, are you putting on airs with "Addias" transfer? We plebeians just used "sneaker net." :D

3. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks TN, I agree more effort then it was worth.

Resolve using a thrid party backup (on Vista) and restore (on Win7). There product (free-ware) actually transfered ALL the folders (unlike the MS export/import) but it too displayed a "Shortened folder name - non-descript". I still had to use manual effort to rename folders.
    I will add my comments (not a happy camper) to the MS site for their reference.

FYI - I used to use the "Sneaker Net" but it kept tripping me up. ;)

Reluctantly marking resolved.:(

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Glad you got it working. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!