Solved: Troubles With Accessing Site

Deke40

I click my icon on my desktop for TSG and it takes me to the forums and shows me logged in.

When I click on an indiviual fourm to post I have to log in again.

I also got the following security bar popups.

All this seems strange and I have never had this happen.

Attachments

LauraMJ

Administrator
Also, try logging out, deleting your cookies and clearing your browser's cache/temp files, then logging back in.

Deke40

Please see here: http://forums.techguy.org/site-comments-suggestions/143815-having-problems-read-first.html

At the very least, I need your OS, browser, version, and server number. :)

Thanks!
Sorry about the lack of info Mike.

Vista Home Premium
IE8
Server #3

I erased my TSG cookies out of CC and re-logged in and I can now get to this post without having to relog in.

Didn't get the popups this time and cannot duplicate the problem.

My shortcut takes me to the address you had listed.

Deke40

I just erased my cookie for TSG again and clicked all the way into this post and still
cannot duplicate the problem.:mad:

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Strange that a cookie problem would cause the browser to try to download a file... but stranger things have happened. Keep me updated in case you see anything else! :)

Deke40

I received a email notification from TSG and clicked on the link.

It took me to the site and I was showing not logged in and also the popup came up again.

Attachments

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Hmm... try doing a login, then immediately do a log out, close your browser, and try again. (That should force TSG-only cookies to clear.) Even without being logged in, I'm not sure why your computer is trying to download that Chitika ad, though... it should just display it. Can you try (temporarily) disabling any extra security / filters / ad blockers / firewalls etc just to make sure they're not doing anything?

Deke40

I tried what you said with the firewall and popup blocker off. I don't have the filtering on in IE8.

All I got this time was the "An add-on for this site failed to run."

Sorry to be such a pain in the rear.

Why don't I give it a few days and see what happens.

I know you have more important things to take care of.

Thanks Mike.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Mike, does that ad need java, javascript, or flash or something like that?

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Good question -- I'm sure it requires JavaScript (almost any ad does)... but even with JS disabled, I wouldn't expect it to show up as an add-on. Flash is a possibility, but it'd be strange to show the ad as the plugin name rather than Flash... I emailed Chitika to see if they have any ideas. :)

LauraMJ

Administrator
Actually, I took another look at post number 8........that underlined word "download" is a link that happens as part of the advertising that is shown when one is not logged in. Logged in users don't get those. That much is normal. So, the pop up is probably related to that, though it should not just start automatically trying to download unless you've clicked on that underlined word.

Having said that,.......some malware will also create "link" with words in text, so that is a possibility, too.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Just out of curiosity -- you don't have anything unusual in your hosts file, do you? It almost looks like your computer isn't really looking at chitika.com for the file...

You probably already know it, but hosts file is usually at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online