1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: troubles with nVidia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by help me please, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help me please

help me please Thread Starter

ok, fist thing that happened was long ago, the old 6800le broke and was replaced, by the company that i got the comp from, with a 6600gt. 1 year later, after the warranty has run out, everything is fine and dandy, until i install media center edition 2005. a couple of months after installing this, th nVidia driver (nV_4.disp) started to randomly bluescreen the entire system. after installing new drivers, and updating everything, the problem persisted, but eventually fixed itself. now a new problem has surfaced, and this one is less severe. i was using my comp, re-installing freelancer after a lot of freelancer modding, when i was asked by freelancer to restart my system for system files, upon restarting, the system shut down ok, but when it tried to startup, the actual startup was working, but there was nothing on my screen. i tried restarting, still nothing. then, out of desperation, i tried the vga connector instead of the dvi-i, and it works. what i need to know now is whether this is because of a problem with the monitor or this blasted graphics card. just to clarify, on the dvi-i, the startup happens but i cannot see any of it, not even the gpu bios, MB bios, or the drive bios.:( , these are all clear to see on the vga connector.

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

It sounds like a video problem, i think the driver is causing these problems. Put your system into safe mode and remove the current installed drivers. Once you have done that, install the most up-to-date graphics drivers onto your system along with all/any chipset drivers for your motherboard.

www.nvidia.com

3. help me please

i dont think its the driver, because i cant see anything on the dvi, even before the drivers are loaded. its on the bios screens before the windows boot process has started.

4. help me please

i am pretty advanced, and i know its not drivers/software because the screen cannot be seen on the most basic of startup screens even before the windows boot has begun when using the dvi-i, these do however show up on vga using a dvi-i to vga adapter and it works perfectly.to say again, the dvi port is not working AT ALL anyone got any ideas?

5. norton850

norton850

Are there any controls on the monitor that will allow you a choice of VGA or DVI?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Check the cable for bent pins, which is quite common on these.

7. help me please

no controls, it auto selects, although i have tried to use the self adjust-use digital input option. and there are no bent pins, it decided not to work without it even being disconnected. i just restarted the comp and the dvi-d decided not to work anymore. ive tried both dvi-d connectors, but both are dead on dvi-d, dvi-a (vga adapter) works however.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well if the cable is ok then that had to be the card.

9. help me please

why would it suddenly decide not to work anymore? i dont want to get a new card on ly for that to go as well

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

It happens with video cards and I have seen more and more lately. I cannot explain it.

11. help me please

another problem has arisen with this cursed card, now the fan is making squeaking/rattling noises. To hell with nvidia, im going ATI, my mate has one of those, its 4 year old and still goes strong lol

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!