1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Troubleshooting a 2nd HDD installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goedel, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 401168 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Updated and Enabled

I have an adapter kit, which includes a power supply with a 5v and 12v DC output. It also includes cables, 4 pin for IDE power and a slide connector for SATA power. Finally, it includes plugs and cables for IDE data and for SATA-USB connection.

I have tried two "refurbished" SATA HDDs from two different suppliers. Both motors did not spin. I felt no vibration which would have indicated that the motors were running. Of course, the computer did not recognize the drives when the data cable was connected.

What do I know? I know the power supply to be good, because it powers my old IDE HDD. I can feel the motor's vibration as soon as the 4-pin power cable is connected to it. How about the power connection for the SATA motors. In that case, I used the flat, slide connector to the receptacle of the SATA drive. When no motor spin occurred, I checked the voltages at the underside of the HDDs. I found 5v and 12v were being supplied to the two HDDs when each was connected. It seemed that there was no problem with the power adapter's connection to the HDDs. Also, I observed that the HDDs did get warm when connected. To me that meant that the motors' coils had current flowing in them. But the motors did not spin in either of the "refurbished" HDDs that I had purchased. Current to the coils, but no rotation! Bad brushes -if they have brushes - or possibly mechanically frozen armature for induction type motors, which they probably are.

Do you agree with my diagnosis, or have I omitted some other possibility?

Disappointed in "refurbished" HDDs. I have returned both "refurbished" for refunds. I think "refurbished" means dusted with a soft cloth.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice