1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Troubleshooting a power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by airforceone, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airforceone

airforceone Thread Starter

I believe the power supply in my son's pc has gone bad on me. It's a POWMAX ATX Power Supply, Model NO LP-8800D DC with 400W Max output. His computer runs Win XP Pro (not sure that that matters tho).

I'd hate to buy a new power supply if this isn't the problem. Just trying to see if any one knows of a short and simple way to test one.

Thanks ahead for any advice.

v/r

AF1

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Voltage meter?

What seems to be the problem that you suspect the power supply?

3. Seb7

Seb7

AcaCandy - You have seemed to have said everything but what the problem is. what does "gone bad on me" mean?

4. draceplace

draceplace

I assume you are getting no response when you hit the power switch. A Power Cord swap and test the receptical with a lamp or something are also ways to isolate the problem. Also, you can take the power supply out of another PC stick it in there and see if it comes on.

5. ~Candy~

:confused:

6. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Ok...
    After trying what draceplace suggested...
    And the computer still doesn't work...
    Open the computer...
    Turn it on. If no fans come on... and they just shutter and try to turn but don't... it's a definite sign it's a power supply problem. A cap blew.
    If the fans don't come on at all it is "most likely" a power supply problem.

What AcaCandy is suggesting is a further description of what leads you to believe it may be the power supply. And the volt meter she suggested would give definite results in all cases.

7. airforceone

Thanks all (for your time) who have responded (Foamer, ACACandy, draceplace, Seb7). What leads me to believe the power supply went south is that when I turn on the computer, is there no indication that electricity is reaching my son's computer. But I didn't open it up yet and check the fans. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will make note of each suggestion and repost what happened.

Thanks again to all.

AF1

8. ~Candy~

Try the simple things first. A different outlet......

9. airforceone

There was one cable coming from the power supply. Not sure what it is called but it has four connectors on it. I unplugged it from the mother board and the power came on when I pushed the on button. But nothing showed up on the monitor. So I went down to COMP USA and picked up a cheap 300W power supply and popped it in and all is well. I guess it was that one 4-prong cable that was the problem.

10. ~Candy~

Well, I'm still confused about the 4 prong cable, but if the new one works, that's good :D

11. airforceone

Yeah, I'm not sure what it's called either but both the old power supply and the new power supply had it. It's a square (4 holed) place it's plugged into on the motherboard.

12. ~Candy~

It's an ATX 12V power supply connector.

13. brite750

brite750

Just for future reference it is generally not a good idea to buy a "cheap" power supply, a cheap psu can damage your system, you are not really getting a deal most cheap psuz won't even run up to the rated wattage, let alone hold a steady voltage. Pretend that this psu is running your pacemaker, think about it.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice