1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Troubleshooting my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragonkx, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

hi, First heres my build
    Antec Nine Hundred Case
    EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard
    Intel Core2 Quad q9300 2.5 GHz
    (stock cpu cooler)
    Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Corsair RAM Cooling Fan
    BFG BFGE96512GTOCE GeForce 9600 GT
    Maxter 500 GB Sata II Hard Drive
    SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R With Lighscribe
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Power Supply
    Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
    LG W2052TQ-TF 20 Inch Widescreen LCD Monior
    Windows XP 32bit
    i got other parts but felt no need to install it cuz i cant even get it to work properly well heres the problem, my computer keeps beeping when it powers on, my first guess could be the ram, but not sure cuz very few times it would actually show the normal loading screen on the monitor except it would freeze from time to time. My motherboard gives me an error code C1 most of the time. According to EVGA C1 is the code they give it for memory Presence which means base memory detect. EVGA recommends that i check to see if my cpu fan is installed not too tight . I tried that and still same problem. I am stumped any ideas?

2. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Is the fan actually spinning and connected properly?

It does sound like RAM though.

Unplug all your RAM bar one stick, and see if makes a difference. Btw although you have 4GB of RAM you'll only be able to use 3GB because you have 32 bit Windows, although this won't stop it booting up.

3. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

Well im not sure about having only 3 gb of ram cuz on my screen it originally shoed 4 gb of ram even on the windows desktop screen it still say 4 gb, but you could be right but my botherboard says it supports up to 8 gb. Ive used more than 4 gb in the past and it worked fine, well i'll try removing then and installing them one at a time maybe one is dead or something, and yes my cpu fan is spinning

4. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

well i am currently running 2 of my ram in dual mode, but it keeps freezing on me i tried updating my motherboard etc, wont help any ideas or just crappy motherboard? One problem is kinda solved and another one pops up.

5. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

I cant beleive im saying this but im starting to hate my computer. I even though i had problems, i added my sound x-fi sound card and another card for sli and it is showing nothing on screen.

6. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Try just 1 stick of RAM, try them all individually.

After it freezes for the first time, go into the BIOS and check temperatures, could be that your heatsink is a bit loose.

Am now thinking it could be power supply, do you have a spare one you can put in? How many HDDs and things do you have connected, and how many Watts is your power supply?

Also a 32 bit Windows operating system will only ever let you use 3GB of RAM, it should say this in Windows.

7. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

Well i'll try the 1 stick of ram later, but i ram a memtest on the ram while 2 sticks were on and no errors. It kept freezing no matter what combination i used. but i'll try one at a time later on. Well I had two power supplies, i got a raidmax 730 and a corsair 750. I tried both and had the same problem. FOr the 32 bit windows only letting you use 3 gb of ram does that include vista 32 or xp service pack 3 too? I currently have 1 sata hard drive 1 sata dvd burner and 2 bfg 9600 gt and 1 sound blaster x-fi platinum. it had the same problem before i put in the other 9600 gt video card. Most of the time now it wont even let me load past the windows loading screen it just freezes. Anyways my ram was suppose to be running at 1066 mhz but on my bios it only shows 800 mhz anyways not sure how to fix that tried to but it only shows 1600 800 and 400 mhz i believe.

8. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Sounds like it could be a heat issue then.

If it's a new mobo maybe the DIMM ports are DOA.

9. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

WEll i was able to set my dimm to 1066 mhz but at the bios screen on bootup it shows it as 1067 so i said thats good enough. lol. well It turns out one of my ram chips is probably dead cuz while running memtest one of those chips restarted my computer automatically and after i shut it down and restarted it kept beeping, so im trying to see if i warrantee covers it. Well the problem with the blue screen isnt totally because of the dimm slots of the need a new motherboard its because of the sata drivers for the motherboard i beleive, because i got a sata hard drive and sata dvd burner, when the burner is connected to the motherboard it would give me a blue screen and auto restart. BUt if i removed the dvd burner and have no dvd drive, it works fine, worked for the past 2 hours with no problem, i have read that people have had this problems too with this motherboard. they just recommend switching back to IDE for the simpliest solution. I might just do the same unless evga helps me figure somethign out

10. dragonkx

dragonkx Thread Starter

I found out what how to fix the sata problem, first i think its either you install the newest drivers first or something but i installed the cd which was outdated so i had to use driversweeper to remove the originally drivers of the chipset then install the newone

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice