1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Troubleshooting Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 2journey, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

I have an old desktop that's running Windows XP and it hasn't been communicating with my Netgear router for a while. The strange thing is all the lights on my Netgear modem are lit and my laptop that's running Windows 7 can access the internet like 70% of the time with some resetting. How do I fix?

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

you need to troubleshoot the xp computer, not the router, if another computer can access it. better yet, time to upgrade from xp, like last year around april when microsoft quit supporting it. there are many versions of linux which will work, the best part about most of them is you can burn them onto a dvd, and boot from it to see if you like it and it will work on your hardware before installing. this is also a good way to rule out hardware failure on the xp machine, if a linux live dvd gets internet, then it is software related. other than that, i need much more information to even begin troubleshooting, like model of router, wired or wireless, type of encryption on router, can you ping the router from the xp machine, etc.

3. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

My desktop doesn't support any versions above XP. It is a very old computer. It was bought in 2000. I tried to install Vista and I got an error message. I am able to ping the modem. The model of router is Netgear WNR2000 and I bought it in April of this year because my previous Netgear router died on 3.31.2015 and not even my laptop was able to access the internet. I thought April Fool's joke. Phone line has strong signal.

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

so, is it a dsl connection? not that it matters much, but it helps. if you can ping the router, then try to ping yahoo.com, if it does not, let me know what the error message is and try to ping 98.138.253.109 (an ip for yahoo that i found). if it does, you have good connection, the issue is somewhere else. don't worry about the computer, it is just unsafe to have on the internet as it can be exploited rather easily. what type of encryption is on the router, wpa or wep? and if you temporarily disable the encryption totally, does this make a difference in the connection?

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  5. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

I have dsl connection and wpa encryption.

Pinged yahoo and could not find. Autoconfiguration IP address is working fine as well as Subnet mask. Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank as well as Default Gateway.

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If your router only works 70% of the time and requires frequent resets, then you need a new router.

7. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

To TonyB25
    Did I mention having an old desktop that's running Windows XP and it hasn't been communicating with my Netgear router for 2 months. The strange thing is all the lights on my Netgear modem are lit and my laptop that's running Windows 7 can access the internet with some turning router on/off. My router is 2 months new. If router isn't working, then how can my laptop access the internet. I think the communication between desktop and router affects communication between laptop and router. I'm open to solutions.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is the laptop also connected to the router by Ethernet cable? Or wirelessly? Can you try the laptop connected by Ethernet to see if it still connects? I agree that if even the laptop is having trouble at times it may be a faulty router. I have had problems with Netgear routers before. Can you connect your Desktop directly to the modem and get a connection?

9. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

To Dustyjay
    My laptop is connected to router wirelessly. I haven't tried connecting laptop to ethernet. Desktop can ping modem.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does the Laptop have an Ethernet port?

11. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

To Dustyjay
    I think so. It's the port on laptop that resembles the ports on both modem and router.

12. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

when you say you can ping the modem, can you ping the router? set the default gateway to whatever matches your network, like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 and the dns servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. then try pinging yahoo.com again, and if that doesn't work, ping 98.138.253.109 again. and what were the error messages exactly, word for word? "destination host unreachable" means something else than "timeout".

and can you ping the laptop? if not, what is the exact error message?

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  13. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

To kanaitpro
    I can't ping the router and the message that I keep getting are destination host unreachable. I tried to disconnect my modem and router from my desktop and then, hook everything up to my laptop just to test my router. At first, my modem wasn't communicating with my laptop because the icons were lit green except the signal one. Somehow, I went to cmd to ping and routerlogin.net to refresh. Those two were communicating, however nothing really changed with router communication. The router power and wifi signals are lit green, however the data icon dropped completely.

I also noticed that my routerlogin website doesn't have the wireless settings tab. Basic and ADSL tab yes.

14. 2journey

2journey Thread Starter

To kanaitpro
    I think that something may be wrong with desktop ethernet port, perhaps it needs replacing.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Power off the modem, detach the router from the modem. Connect the laptop directly to the modem. Power up the modem. After all the lights on the modem are the way they should be (mine always shows 4 solid green and 1 blinking amber, if it is working correctly), fire up a browser. Can you connect? If so, there is nothing wrong with your ethernet port.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!