1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Troubleshooting USB conflicts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RhinoCan, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

I'm having some USB issues. The other day, I unplugged a USB device (my UPS) from a USB port on the back of my tower, then found it wouldn't work when I plugged it back in to the same port; Windows didn't recognize it. I moved it to another port and it seems fine there. But now, when I try to download pictures from my digital camera to my computer, I can only get it to work in one of the USB ports, the one that contains the receiver for the wireless mouse and keyboard. I've tried putting the receiver in other free ports (and even swapping with ports that were in use) but it doesn't work. I've tried the same ports for the camera but that doesn't work either. Unfortunately, I need the mouse to start the download of pictures so I'm effectively being prevented from downloading pictures.

I have to imagine there are techniques for troubleshooting USB issues but I'm darned if I know what they are. Can someone tell me how to get started?

I'm running USB 2.0 on Windows XP (SP3). I have two USB ports on the front of my tower and four in the back. One of the back ports has a 7 port Belkin USB hub connected to it. I have several different USB devices connected, including a printer, UPS, transmitter for mouse/keyboard, scanner, joystick, and various other odds and sods. It may sound like I have excessive USB devices but this has always worked okay until now. I don't see anything that looks messed up anywhere in Device Manager. O should also mention that I've lost the little white plastic spacer/wafer in two of the USB ports on the computer. One of those is on the front of my tower and the other is in the Belkin hub. That renders those two ports unusable. But they've been like that for years now so I don't see that as being the problem.

I should also mention this in case it is related. I can't do a proper Windows shutdown any more. (It's been like that for many weeks.) It gets as far as "Windows is shutting down...." but just stays there for hours if I let it; eventually, I just turn it off with the power switch. I'm guessing there is some kind of hardware issue so perhaps this has something to do with USB. Or not. (Sorry if this is a red herring.)

2. RhinoCan

RhinoCan Thread Starter

I managed to fix both issues myself. Here is a quick summary for the sake of anyone else encountering similar problems.

I Googled on "troubleshoot USB microsoft XP" and found an article that suggested unplugging all USB devices. I did that and added everything back, one at a time, except for a couple of devices I rarely use. (I'll just plug those into the USB when I actually use them). In a couple of cases, I didn't get a "USB connecting" sound from Windows and then I just used a different port until I did get the connecting sound. I can now connect my Digital camera and have the mouse/keyboard connected at the same time so I'm able to download photos again. I assume the other devices also still work since I got "connecting" noises when I plugged them in but haven't tried them all yet.

I wasn't sure if this was related to my inability to shut down Windows so I tried doing a Shutdown/Turn Off and it worked correctly for the first time in months! I guess the issues WERE related as I suspected.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice