1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Troubling with setting-up Wireless Router!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chow2rich, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

Help I never ever had setup a wireless network. My major is Cisco Networking. But however I never had to setup a wireless network. Cisco talked more about connection-oriented network instead wireless networks. I can't setup my wireless router with my wireless laptop. Please can somebody help me! (n)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it would help a bunch if you told us something about the environment.

Make/model of the modem, router, and wireless card. Version and patch level of Windows in use.

Also, what are the EXACT symptoms of the failure you get, and what have you tried so far?

3. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

Well, my wireless adapter is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, my wireless router is NetGear model # MR814, used to have DSL modem, now have dial-up, and using Windows XP Media Center. My Laptop is a Toshiba, Intel Centrino Duo Core, 1.5 GB of Ram, 1.6 GHZ, and Harddrive Capacity 150 GB of Ram. That's it. Thanks! (y)

4. JohnWill

I'm trying to find out what you've done so far. Did you try following the procedure outlined in the setup instructions for the router? Can you connect to the DSL modem directly and get a connection?

5. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

Like I said I don't have DSL anymore, but I have the modem. I'm using dial-up connection to get online. (n)

6. JohnWill

What are you going to do with the wireless router if you don't have broadband?

7. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

I really don't know. Is there a way I can still use the router without the DSL modem.
    Thanks! (y)

8. JohnWill

If you have one laptop with dial-up service, I can't imagine how the router fits into the picture.

9. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

The Netgear MR814 is a Cable or DSL router. It does not work on dial up. You might be able to hook up a computer on the back end that pretends to be an ISP, but I doubt it.
    Besides, what's the point?

Courtney sends...

10. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advice everybody, I know what to do now! Get DSL broadband again! (y)

11. JohnWill

I can't imagine going back to dial-up now! I can't even imagine going to DSL now that I have fiber optic connections. ;)

12. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

You have fiber optic connection. Really? That is faster than dial-up and DSL. (y)

13. Akmorph

Akmorph

14. JohnWill

I "only" have the 15mbit/2mbit service, there is a more expensive 30mbit/5mbit service, but I didn't feel the need. :D

15. chow2rich

chow2rich Thread Starter

Akmorph, you said you used to work for netgear, so it possible I can use the wireless router without DSL cable or modem. Because my newToshiba Laptop is Windows XP Media Center, 1.5 GB of Ram, 1.6 GHZ, Harddrive Capacity 150 GB, and Wireless adapter pre-installed. So is there a way using my dial-up with Netgear model MR814. (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537802