1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wchull, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wchull

wchull Thread Starter

I was looking at my system logs today and found an error that is being repeated quite a lot and I would like to get rid of the darned error.

The error in the applications event loge is TrueVector Service, event 5003. The message in the event says:

TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure: LoadNTDeviceDriver. Win32 error: The system cannot find the file specified.

I checked on the Internet and have found numerous resources indicating that TrueVector is a part of zone alarm. The weird part is that I have never had zone alarm or any other firewall installed -- Note even Microsft's within XP SP2. I have no references to Zone Alarm in my registry. My references to TrueVetor are in My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\TrueVector Service

Can someone suggest any soluton to getting rid of this event?

2. M.I.C.R.O.N

M.I.C.R.O.N

Id reccomend you uninstall Zone Alarm, reboot and reinstall it, usually caused my a clash wirh vsmon.exe and something else.

3. wchull

wchull Thread Starter

Note..... The problem is that I don't have zone alarm installed. Never had it installed. Don't know how this service got on my machine. Bottom line is that I don't even know what is causing the event in the event log.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The event in the log is the failure of the driver for the TrueVector service to load.

Do you have TrueVector listed among your services? Is it enabled?

Go to that registry key. What is the ImagePath?

5. wchull

wchull Thread Starter

One of the problems I have with this error is that I do not show the TrueVector service among my services therefore I have no clue where to search for the cause of this problem. Note that today I disabled everything in my startup and restarted and still was showing the error. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. There is no doubt that you had Zone Alarm installed. TrueVector is a name copyrighted by Ckeckpoint Software, so it is highly unlikely that the name was used by anyone else.

But that is beside the point. The point is that the remnants of the service remain, it is trying to load a driver and failing, so it is not now doing anything at all. Ergo, it is safe to remove it.

Run regedit.

Find:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Appl ication\TrueVector Service

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Truevector Service

Right-click it and delete it.

Also look under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\Application

and any other numbered Control Sets you may have and delete the service there, too (if it exists).

In fact, it wouldn't hurt to search your registry with RegSeeker and remove all occurrences of "truevector".

7. wchull

wchull Thread Starter

Problem Solved!

I checked with the folks at work that handle the Cisco VPN client and confirmed that the Cisco VPN client and Zone Alarm share a common set of files. We think that I either had a faulty install or an upgrade only partially occured on my system. According to my coworkers, the VPN client is only supposed to use the files not start the TrueVector Service. The plan of attack was to uninstall the existing VPN client and put a newer version down on the box. Removing the old client removed, among other things, 3 files (i.e VSINIT.DLL, VSDATA.DLL and VSDATANT.SYS) file from the System32 folder and after a reboot my system no longer showed any TrueVector Service errors at boot time. I then cleaned up my registry a bit, cleaned up a few other areas and reinstalled a newer Cisco VPN client. The new 4.6 VPN client is working fine and no error messages.

8. arpaterson

arpaterson

I was getting the “TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure: LoadNTDeviceDriver. Win32 error: The system cannot find the file specified.” error message and discover that it had started to occur from the date that I enabled the ‘stateful firewall’ in the Cisco VPN client v4.0.4 I have since turned off the ‘stateful firewall’, reinstalled the VPN client and the problem has gone.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for posting back. That's a very useful piece of information since it appears that it is not at all obvious that the VPN uses Zone Alarm as a firewall implementation.

Good luck.

10. nanook_nosti

nanook_nosti

Good news for me. Hope this solves an executable issue I've been having. I'll reinstall the Cisco VPN and give it a ride. Very odd set of circumstances but a big help to me as I was at a complete loss. Thanks Tech Support Guys!

- Nanook_nosti

11. bsantos

bsantos

SAlut Techguys,

I have got the same problem with the Cisco VPN after I installed SYGATE firewall and it was difficult to solve.

the Cisco problem was "Reason 435 : firewall policy mismatch"
    CISCO VPN Log file gives : Delete Reason Code: 11 --> PEER_DELETE-IKE_DELETE_FIREWALL_MISMATCH.
    and Windows event log gives :"TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure: LoadNTDeviceDriver. Win32 error: Le fichier spécifié est introuvable."

In fact, Sygate modifies different dll files which allows CISCO VPN to work.These files come from the program "zonealarm" that I never installed on my computer before.

I finally solve it by:

1-unistall SYGATE and cisco VPN
    2-install "ZONEALARM" recent version to create the dll files for CISCO VPN
    3-create a temporary directory c:\vpntempo

and save in this directory the files from C:\windows\system32

vsinit.dll
    vsdata.dll
    vspubapi.dll
    vsutil.dll
    vsutil_loc040.dll

save also the file c:\windows\system32\zonelabs : dbghelp.dll

3-uninstall ZONEALARM

4-copy the files from c:\vpntempo
    vsinit.dll
    vsdata.dll
    vspubapi.dll
    vsutil.dll
    vsutil_loc040.dll

to the directory c:\windows\system32
    and copy file
    dbghelp.dll to the directory c:\windows\system32\zonelabs

5-install a recent version of Cisco VPN

6-delete the directory c:\vpntempo

It works fine after many hours of search.

Thank you guys to show me the way to repair VPN.

SAlut

B.Santos

12. mmlmtlca

mmlmtlca

thanks all!
    user was running iPass 3.51 with Cisco VPN client 4.8.01.0300.
    when launching vpn, client was crashing with BSOD, then rebooting...
    Event log was COVERED with the TrueVector error. :eek:

This thread stated that Cisco VPN was using the files that Zone Alarm uses....
    Bingo! :D
    Uninstalled VPN, then iPass. Rebooted, did disk clean up then reinstalled both apps and tada... no BSOD when launhing and no new TrueVector errors in the log! (y)

THANK YOU!!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/335147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice