1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Truevision3D apps stopped running on XPpro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Elf-stone, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elf-stone

Elf-stone Thread Starter

I hope some one has some insight on this. I've searched the web with no luck.
    I have these two freeware games, Battle of Endor and Battle of Yavin, which I played on this computer when it ran Windows98SE with no problems. They were made with the Truevision3D engine using Visual Basic 6.0
    Two weeks ago I did a format and installation of Windows XP Pro SP2, with all updates.
    At first the games played fine, then every couple of tries the game would load, but only show a blank screen. The sound would work, and the game played, but I couldn't see anything.
    When that happened I could restart the computer, and then the games would work again, for awhile. Now I'm just getting the black screen every time, but still the sound and the games still run, just with no visual.
    I re-installed DirectX 9C(April), Visual Basic 6.0, .Net Framework 2.0 and my video card drivers, but no help.
    I don't believe it's a video card problem, as all other games and applications are fine, just these two games are giving me problems.
    I just did a repair install on XP, and that didn't help either. My next step will be another Format and install, but the problem will most likely come back after a while.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be gratefull. Something about blowing up TIE-fighters brings me back to my childhood! :D

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try running the games under Windows 98 Compatibility mode. Also here is something for you to look thru on SP2 because SP2 might be causing some or all of your problems

Windows XP SP2 specific articles
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sp2faq.htm

Also check the web sites for these games to see if there are any updates for them or newer ones for Windows XP With SP2.

3. Elf-stone

Elf-stone Thread Starter

Yes, I did try Compatibility Mode on both programs. I searched the programmer's site, and the site the download is on, as well as the forums, and these are the newest versions. Also, I can't find any mention of a problem like this.
    I checked out your link, but don't see anything of relevance to the problem. Did you have a certain section in mind?
    Other things I tried : lowering the hardware accelerator settings, uninstalling the programs(and deleting their folders)and re-installing, and running them with Windows Firewall and AVG turned off.
    The strange thing is how they worked fine, and then gradually stopped.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

How much Ram is in your computer?

5. Elf-stone

Elf-stone Thread Starter

384 MB. I can't imagine it's a RAM problem, as I can run much more demanding apps without any problems. The thing is, it's only these two programs giving problems, both written by the same guy using the same TrueVision3D engine. (They're nice little games if you're into StarWars, by the way). Since they use Visual Basic 6.0, I'm guessing there's some kind of conflict there, but I don't see a way to uninstall and have only re-installed the VBRuntime over itself.
    Also the system is scanned by AVG every night, and I run Adaware and Spybot almost daily and everything is clean.
    It wouldn't be a great hardship to Format and Install XP again, but I don't want to bother if the problem is just going to pop up again in a couple of days.

6. Elf-stone

Elf-stone Thread Starter

Well I seem to have solved the problem. While troubleshooting, I uninstalled Java 1.5.0 Update 6 and ran both games successfully. Then installed 1.5.0 Update 7 and they're still running fine.
    :D (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice