1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trying to add Mac laptop plus printer to windows network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by adamm321, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamm321

adamm321 Thread Starter

Good morning... :)

I am getting ready to purchase a new AIO printer and a Mac notebook. Right now we have a Dell laptop and a MacBook networked on a DSL cable box through a Dell Truemobile 2300 router.

I am looking at a Canon PIXMA MP970 AIO printer that I want to add with a MacBook Pro laptop. I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me if there is a compatibility issue here? The printer is offered on the Apple website and is supposed to work with a network, but one reviewer had this to say on connecting it:

"With most printers this is what you do....you have to connect by usb cable, tell the install program that u want to connect to a network and run an auto install program that finds the printer and installs the software. With the Canon MP970 you do this....
    you connect by USB cable, tell the install program you want to connect to a network, connect a network cable. If you want the printer farther from the computer than the USB cable can reach, you have to set it up in one spot and then relocate it afterwards.??? Not difficult but not state of the art installation."

I did not connect my current network, so I can't understand what they are describing about making this connect with what I have already. I am wondering if I can use the router/DSL modem box I have, or do I have to get something else as well.

BTW, the Apple MacBook came out of the box and started working. Did not have to make one adjustment at all for it to work wirelessly. Now if I can have the same thing happen with the MacPro and get a printer that works wirelessly with both mac and windows, I will be very happy. :)

Are there many here that have a 'mixed' network?

Thanks very much...adam

2. adamm321

adamm321 Thread Starter

Worked it out for the time being...thanks anyway. adam

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/690198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice