1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trying to clone hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babba46, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I have an older Dell Latitude cpx laptop with XP Pro installed. There is only one drive in the system and it's 6 gig. I want to clone this drive to a larger 160 gig drive. This laptop does not have enough power to support an external USB drive to do the clone process.

I have cloned laptop drives a long time ago in a PC with IDE adapters using Acronis 2010. I'm trying this again but in a different PC. I don't have any jumpers on the laptop drives to configure them for cable select on the PC's IDE cable. I don't know if this is required to have the jumpers and I don't remember if I had them when I did this before?? It appears to only select one drive when I run Acronis in the clone mode. I even tried HDclone and it does the same thing. I physically swapped the drives and it still only shows one drive connected. I swapped the 80 wire IDE cable also with a new one which makes no difference.

This PC had 2 IDE hard drives running in it before I started this. I removed them to do this clone.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

PC Hardware;
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Asus M2V-MX-SE
    1 gig ram
    Lite-on DVD burner

2. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Just out of curiosity, have you checked the disk management to see if the drive is enabled?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have Acronis, just make an image of the main drive in a folder on the PC. Then put in the second drive and restore the image from the folder. That way, only one needs to be connected.

If they are IDE, they should have jumpers.

5. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

Does this software boot without an OS? Both Acronis and HDclone boot from the CD to do the clone without an operating system. The way my system is configured I have to do this without Windows.

6. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I'm booting from the Acronis CD without an operating system. The only drives in the system are the 2 laptop drives. The PC system drives Have Linux on them. No Windows. These drives are disconnected while I'm doing this clone deal.

I have a feeling you are right about the jumpers. I'm beginning to think this is my problem. The IDE adapters have no way to jumper the drives. and I don't have any of the small jumpers for the laptop drives. I guess I can wrap some thin wire around the terminals to serve as jumpers for cable select and try it. I did notice that if I only connect one drive at a time ,Acronis and HDclone show the drive That is plugged in. I know both of these drives are healthy.

7. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

No I didn't. I have both drives connected to the IDE cable but only the drive in the master position is recognized. I've never checked them using disk management. I'll give it a try.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, if one laptop drive is recognized while Linux is on another, Acronis shoulsd have the drivers available to access the Ext partition to save an image to a folder there. All you need is one drive for the image nd one laptop drive at a time. Of course, I don't know what you have available.

If you have another IDE cable around, try that. Some cables already have a notch cut out of them for CS and can't be used on drives that require master/slave (Compaq's usually do).

An image of a 6 GB drive should fit on a 4 GB USB thumb drive with no problem.

You have only one IDE channel, right? If you have two and your CD-ROM is IDE, you could also try different combinations there, like with the CD-ROM as slave and both drives as masters. Acronis will boot from a slave as well as from a master (anything will).

9. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

10. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

The 2 Linux drives are out of the system while I'm doing this clone. The 2 laptop drives with adapters are the only hard drives in the system right now. There is no operating system is why I'm booting from the CD to do this.

I already tried a different IDE cable. Actually I tried 3 different ones which are all 80 wire cable select cables.

This motherboard only have one IDE connector so I'm stuck with only 2 drives (one IDE cable with 2 connectors Master and Slave).

11. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I failed to mention that the DVD and CD units are SATA.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, but can you put in one Linux drive and one laptop drive and create the image with Acronis on the Linux drive?

But, like I said, Acronis could make an image to a USB stick, too, if you have one handy. Or even a DVD. Then you only need one laptop drive at a time.

(Yes, I expected that you'd have just one IDE channel like most machines now that use SATA drives. Just a shot in the dark.:D)

13. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

I guess Acronis doesn't care what OS or file system is on the target drive? I'll give it a try like you describe and let you know. I do have a 32gig thumb drive I could try also.

Do you think the wire jumper would work like I mentioned before?

14. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

It might and it's risky. Because of the electrical properties of the drive, there is always a risk for electrical failure because the ends of the terminals has a chance of becomming crossed with another terminal. We do not want that. The risk is yours so beware.

15. babba46

babba46 Thread Starter

You're probably right so I wont go there. However, I think I may have found a "back door" way to do this thanks to Elvandil. Because the system I'm using to clone these drives doesn't have an operating system, I have to depend on a program that will self boot like Acronis or HDclone from a cd. I just happened to have HDclone in the cd drive at the moment. Since neither program shows both drives connected at the same time, I tried plugging in a 32gig thumb drive in a USB slot. HD clone shows the 6gig laptop drive and the thumb drive YIPPEE! I started the clone to the thumb drive and if it's successful I will clone the thumb drive to the 160 gig hard drive I originally intended to use. This is a slow process. The program counter says it will take 30 minutes but thats OK.

I'll let you know if this works.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice