1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: trying to find game after installing/downloaded

Discussion in 'Games' started by zowie9000, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zowie9000

zowie9000 Thread Starter

Bought new computer 4 days ago.Trying to redownload games.Publisher sent me registration keys etc. i downloaded them from the link in my email .Fizzball and Prime Suspects worked but they didnt go to the desktop.Didnt know what to do so I went START,GAMES (on right hand side),Didnt know how to get the icons there so i dragged it over.This seems to work.Is that method ok?
    But underneath Fizzball it says shortcut. Why only there and can i remove that wording?
    Cake Mania has not arrived at the same place.How do i find it? Where do i find it? If thats easy,how do i then get it to the desktop? This is not my computer-am very wary about fiddling with stuff.please answer in laymans terms with easy directions please.thankyou.hope someone can help ...

2. JeffM

JeffM

First of all, it's ok to rightclick the Shortcut and go down the menu to 'RENAME' Click the Box and Remove the wording. Secondly, hit 'Start ' and go to 'Search, and type in the word 'cake'.It will come up with the game name and where it is.set it up, (from the search results box if you like). If you dont get a desktop shortcut, Find it in the Start Menu, Rightclick the Start item and, again, look on the menu for 'SEND TO'. Go there and another menu will pop up, and on THIS menu look for 'SEND TO DESKTOP(MAKE A SHORTCUT)'. Once again you may have to remove wording that you don'i want just as you did above.

I hopee this makes sense.

Regards
    Jeff

3. zowie9000

zowie9000 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,no one else did so i really appreciate that your answer was easy to understand so i didnt have to keep going back and forth.Before you replied i had to join another forum to up my chances and did get one explanation but wasnt as easy to follow as yours.:) Thankyou.
    Plus from you i learnt another method.Seeing as you've been so good with that maybe you can help with another question i posted in the Windows Vista section. Titled "problem caused program to stop".
    Prime Suspects used to play,then i removed the square shape (with solutions provided),it became round (as originally was on previous computer). but now it wont play!!! Any of your wonderful ideas?

4. JeffM

JeffM

I don't understand the 'Square Shape' bit. Can you elaborate please?

SCRUB THAT. I just read your other post.Open windows Explorer,Start/All Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer. Click it and it will open a Window with 2 sections. On the left is Douments. Scroll UP and click on the small arrow next to your name. This will close it and you will see Computer. Click the arrow next to it and you will see 'C' Drive. Again click the arrow next to it and you will see a list of Yellow Folders. Scroll down to Program Files and, Once again click the small arrow next to it and more folders appear. Scroll down these to find your game. (It MAY be the name of the game maker first, if it is use the arrows to check). I find it easier to go to 'VIEWS' on the blue bar across the top and have the folders in One line on the left with Date and type to the right of the folders (or SIZE with single files). Once you click the folder (Game folder) A list of files appear in the right hand section instead.Scroll down till you see the Icon for your game.( if you have changed views, it will say Application to the right of it.Then right click it and go through the same as before and send to desktop as a shortcut.A new icon will appear on the desktop.Delete all others on the desktop.If it hasnt an Icon or has the wrong one, right click the short cut and click 'PROPERTYS'. A new box will come up and a butto will say 'CHANGE ICON'. Click it and browse to your game folder like you did in the Explorer and the correct icon will show up.Clik it and OK it and You are done. I hope you can understand this. Also , a site you might like to keep for more help at any time that I recommend to beginners is here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/

5. zowie9000

zowie9000 Thread Starter

Sorry about wording: the icon on the desktop was SQUARE,with a square border. (like the ADOBE icon) Usually its just a little picture,(like the recycling bin) or rounded. ie not contained in an outline. Hope this makes sense?!
    I dont think its important cos as i said the game DID play before when the icon was square! I changed the other games icons and they worked as normal.This one wont.

6. JeffM

JeffM

try the amended bit above.refresh your page

7. zowie9000

zowie9000 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your detailed answer.I followed all steps. When it came to changing icon there wasnt another one there to change it to.
    So i've cancelled the process.left the "original" icon on desktop as is.

For old time sakes i Clicked on it again just to "see' and as usual it says "acess violation,program terminated then it goes to "problem caused program to stop" etc.

I think i will just have to accept that i cannot play this game anymore.I guess thats sometimes a problem with self teaching.I will look at the website you linked.Thanks again for all your help and the time you spent emailing it.:)

8. JeffM

JeffM

never to much. I'm self taught from 20 odd yrs ago and I know what a ***** it is. You can always find me on Livemessenger at [email protected]

anytime you need help, just Holler lol. or email me

Jeff

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!