1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: trying to get lan to work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will182, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. will182

will182 Banned Thread Starter

i have go a lan card in both computers and went to buy a crossover cable to day and i did now i connected it and lights on the lan card on both computers lit up but i just dont know how to make these 2 computers connect to eatch other so i can send files and stuff from one to an other could someone please help me

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Haven't had to do this in a while but I believe you need to make both PCs part of the same workgroup and then share the harddrives (or specific folders in) of each PC.

3. will182

how am i suposed to do that?

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

You need to set the IP address of each PC

PC #1: IP address 192.168.0.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    workgroup: home

PC #2: IP address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    workgroup: home

etc.

disable the firewalls on the network adaptors between the machines, If useing windows 2000, or windows XP pro, you'll need to set up user accounts for each machine using the logins and passwords on the networked machines. Then right-click on the folders you wish to share in explorer, select properties, select sharing, and share the folder. Depending on the operating system used, the right click options for sharing may be slightly different, also you may have to set permissions for the shared folder.

5. will182

ok but were do i do this?

6. will182

ok so how do i do all that setting up ip addresses and user acounts and stuff becouse i cant find it i am a bigginer at computers

7. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

8. will182

this is about setting up 2 computers to connect to the internet at the same time i dont want to do this i want to computers to connect with eastch other so i can shre files and that ip stuff and that i dont know were to put it i need help on that

9. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

First right click on My Computer, Go to Computer Name Tab.

Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup, if not make it so they are by clicking the Change button and entering a new name for both PC's.

You don't need to individually set an IP for the PC's as they said above for you, it wont make any difference in your case so you dont have to worry about doing that. The computers will automatically obtain one when you turn the PC on.

Go to Control Panel, Click on Network Connections and Right click on Local Area Network, select Properties. Now in the 'Local Area Network' properties window, make sure 'File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks' and 'Client for Microsoft Networks' and 'QoS Packet Scheduler' and 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' are all checked. Click close. You can close Network connections window too were done there.

Now Go to My Computer and right click on C:/ drive Click Sharing and Security. Click on the 'If you understand the risk of sharing the root of the drive click here'. Now click on the 'Share this folder on the network' box. Give it a share name and check the box below that depending on whether you want to be able to manipulate the files on the drive from the other PC. Click Apply and OK.

If you ever want to share a specific folder right click on it and do it the same way as above. Repeat everything on the second PC and you should be good to go if it doesnt work reply here and we'll see what we can do for ya

10. will182

ok i will try this straight away and get back to you

11. will182

ok i have done that and i have tried sharing files but nothing seems to hasppen exept the lights on the lan cards blink more and at the same time as eatch other but on my other computer i am on this thing to create a network setup disk but i dont need to do this if i dont want to connect to the internet on any of the computers so what do i do on both computers the workgroup name is workgroup and stuff like that is all the same on other computers but i need help on what to do next can someone help me firther on this please

12. will182

oh i dont get it it dont work i followed all your steps carlssonmb so whats wrong with it ;(

13. will182

i have shared everyhting and on my old computer nothing is shared for bout 30 secs then it is shared but i go into my network places and it should a will/workgroup file i cant remeber what its called exatly but i cant access it it says that that computer dont have permission to get into it why is this lan not working the cable is the right one i dont get it

14. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Try creating the network setup disk

15. will182

i have nothing happend and both of my computers ar eon windows xp one on home and one on pro

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice