1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trying to get old printer working on Win7 64bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Immortalica, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Immortalica

Immortalica Thread Starter

My mom gave me her old printer, since she got a new one, and I want to see if I can use it on my computer that I recently installed Windows 7 64bit on. It's a HP Photosmart 7350. I looked on the HP site for drivers but it seems there aren't any to download seeing as Win7 has a printer driver download thing built in. So I looked for a driver specifically made for Photosmart 7350 but there aren't any. When I looked for it on the web, apparently there is an alternate I can use (Deskjet 5550), which I installed from the "Add a printer" menu in the Devices and Printers window. It detected my printer but it doesn't print. When I try printing something I get errors. So I came here to see what I could do to fix this. I'm not sure what the problem is. Could I be using the incorrect drivers? Or is it something else?

2. raybro

raybro

Had exactly the same problem with an HP G71 laptop running Win 7 64 bit and a Dell AIO A960 printer. After I finally found a Vista 64 bit driver that was supposed to work, the printer was recognized and installed as default printer. When I try to print a test page, nothing happens. After a minutes or so, a dialog window comes up say cannot communicate with printer. Best guess is firmware update for the printer, but haven't tried that yet.

Click here to review my post about this problem in the Win 7 forum.

Raybro

3. Immortalica

Upon further reading, it seems I may have overlooked something. I read that after I install the printer driver, I'm supposed to configure it. Apparently, I have to change the port the printer uses from LPT1 to DOT4 or USB or something along those lines. But when I go to change it, I see no ports named DOT4, just LPT1-3 and COM1-4. If I'm supposed to change the port to one that doesn't exist, how am I to get this to work? Is there another way?

4. raybro

raybro

If your computer detected the printer, then it is connected to the right port. See my previous post.

Raybro

5. Hughv

Hughv

You can see and change ports in Control Panel/Devices and Printers.
    Rt-Click the Printer/Printer Properties/Ports

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a thought; have you had windows update search for a driver for you? I have an old hp 880C and win7 does not install a driver when I do a clean install. Once I go online and have windows update search, it finds a driver and install it.

7. Immortalica

Oh alright. Do you think I have to update the printer's firmware? Or is that even possible with my printer? Would switching to XP mode give different results when I install drivers? I'm a bit lost.

Yeah I checked that out, not sure if I have to change/add anything though, at least yet.

I ran Windows Update, and there's no updates. When I went to install the Deskjet 5550 series driver from the list of drivers, I hit the Windows Update button. When I look for Deskjet 5550 I see two different drivers. They are as follows:
    hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA) (HP)
    hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA) (Microsoft)

Thoughts?

8. Hughv

Hughv

What port is it using? What kind of connection do you have?

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Uninstall the Printer Software, then follow this guide to reinstall it

Here is some good advice when installing programs in Vista, # 4 is good advice even if the program was designed for Vista.

Here is how to install software or drivers on Vista that are designed for XP

1. Right click on the setup.exe file for the software/driver you are trying to install and select properties, if there is an "Unblock" button on the General Tab, click it, then go to the compatibility Tab

2. Tick the "run this file in compatibility mode" box and then select XP, or whatever OS the software was designed for, in the drop down box, Tick "run as Administrator" if it is available, hit OK

3. Now double click this setup.exe file to execute the install process, hopefully all will go well and install the drivers/Software you need.

4. If the exe installs software for the device, or you have installed software only, you need to navigate to the program folder where it installed, then do the compatibility thing (1 & 2) again for the program executable(s). If the program was designed for Vista skip compatibility mode, just tick "run as administrator" (Skip #4 if installing printer software)

I do not guarantee all drivers or software to work in Vista, but a large percentage do..

Good luck.

Right after you execute the printer software installer, turn on the Printer.

10. Immortalica

It's connected with a USB cable to port LPT1.

I followed these steps and can't get past #3. When I run the printer software setup that I downloaded from here, it gets to a point where it says it must wait for the printer. So I do, and it says the printer is not responding. Could I be using the wrong software? Maybe it could be a busted connector or something. Everything seems to be connected right. I'll try it on another computer to make sure.

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

12. Immortalica

That's what I did when I initially tried to install the drivers. My process: I went to Devices and Printers, hit Add Printer > Add local printer. "Use an existing port" is checked. LPT1: (printer port) is selected from the dropdown. Next; I hit Windows Update to update the list, go to HP, then I have the option of either of these drivers:
    hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA) (HP)
    hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA) (Microsoft)
    I'm not sure what the difference is, but I picked the first one, then hit next. I choose to replace the current driver, hit next, put in the printer's name which I leave at default ("hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA)"), hit next again, and it installs. Finish. Through this process my printer is disconnected. I proceed to connect it and try to print a test page, but nothing happens, just an error in my printing queue. No luck on my mom's Vista computer either. So I'm not going to rule out the possibility of a faulty connection. I don't have any XP machines to test it on unfortunately, so I guess I'm out of luck as far as that goes. I can follow HP's instructions all the way until the Configuring the driver part. I don't see the port it wants me to switch it to. Any idea where I'm going wrong, or is this printer simply incompatible with my machine?

13. Hughv

Hughv

You can't use LPT1. Select a USB port.

14. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

See Step 3

15. Immortalica

These are ALL of the ports it gives me to choose from.
    LPT1
    LPT2
    LPT3
    COM1
    COM2
    COM3
    COM4
    FILE
    XPSPort

And that's it, no USB, no nothing. If I am to change it to USB, can I create it or something?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice