1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trying to install Windows 7 home premium

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ll1976, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ll1976

ll1976 Thread Starter

Trying to install Windows 7 home premium....getting error This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart(boot)your computer using the installation disc, and then select custom(advanced). I currently have Windows XP media center edition 2005. Fry's sold me the oem version telling me it would work and would be cheaper for me. When I try to boot with the disc in it shows black screen and in the corner says boot with disc and when I hit enter it just comes up to the regular startup screen for windows xp.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    first of all if u had windows xp in the computer its set for ATA SATA or IDE compatability to run xp. to install windows 7 u have to go into the bios usually by pressing F2 for setup and change it to ACHI.and make sure u save the changes before u exit the setup.then put the disk in and reboot then hit usually F12 and it will say hit any key to boot from the cd . it will ask u do u want to upgrade or install windows 7. just follow the instructions its easy. do u have an upgrade version of windows 7? ive used those with no trouble at all.hope this helps u.

3. ll1976

ll1976 Thread Starter

ty, I did finally get it to install by changing the boot priority to cd. Someone had told me to try that. It was the full version and I had to do the custom install instead of the upgrade. The only issue I have now is when you start the computer it comes to a black screen and you have to select to start windows 7. Then it comes to another screen that says to select repair computer or start windows normally?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Where on earth did you get this idea? AHCI has nothing to do with this issue.
    True though you cannot upgrade XP to 7.0.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    he stated that it originally had windows xp media center in it.and i thought that he might have to change the bios so that he could run windows 7 on it and that maybe that was the problem he was having.i was only trying to help.i had to change one of my computers to ACHI so that i could properly install windows 7 with no problems.we all try to help each other on here and dont expect to be critisized for doing so.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice