1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Trying to Merge Columns in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hotdiamond, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotdiamond

hotdiamond Thread Starter

I have been entering information into a template in Excel. The template was created by someone at work. This template has merged columns. I had no problem entering the information until I added two extra rows within the template. The added two rows are not merged but the merge function is grayed out and I am unable to select it. What could be the problem and how can I correct it?

Thanks,
    Tonya

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you post an example of the spreadsheet

if you highlight the two cells can you merge

3. hotdiamond

hotdiamond Thread Starter

When I highlighted the cells, the "Merge" option was still grayed out.

I had to copy the information row by row into a new spreadsheet and then I was able to merge the additional rows.

4. tCoop61

tCoop61

Sounds like the creator may have the sheet protected. Check the TOOLS > PROTECTION on the menu at the top, and see if your first choice is "Unprotect Sheet". If so, click unprotect, and hope the creator didn't password protect it.

You can usually get around protection by copying the entire sheet (click the little box at the top left corner of the sheet, between "A" and "1"), hit copy, then open a new file and paste in cell A1. Protection will usually not follow the data. Then save the new file as your template. And if anyone at my company asks you, I don;t know how to do this!:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!