1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: trying to recover data from harddrive - unsucessfully...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kjdooris, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

problem:

got a pc which wont work, it keeps asking fr the boot disk. this doesnt matter - its an old heap of junk which doesnt need fixing. i dont even know which OS it was using at present. (i will find out tomorrow)

I need to get the data off the the harddrive which it used.

the drive is only 10gb, its a fujitsu MP3102AT drive.

i tried ubcd4win but the pc kept asking for floppy, i set the boot options in the bios to cd, but it still wont load.

EDIT: got it to load the cd drive - ubcd loaded, but isnt recognising the hard drive.

This hard drive just wont be picked up or recognised in any machine i have, is it just fuked completley?

this all adds to experience! :)

2. junker39

junker39

Does it spin up when you start the computer? If it does, you may be able to get the files off by hooking it up via USB external. Make sure the jumper is set to Master.

3. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

it spins and i can hear the cranking sort of sound, then it just spins silently.

jumper is at master. (i have tried at all other ones too)

ill get an external usb case next week and try that then, fingers crossed! thanks.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The USB case will not help if you can't detect the disk when connected directly.

5. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

so thats outta the question then.

have you any ideas John?

6. JohnWill

If the machine doesn't even recognize the drive is there, your choices are limited. If you happen to have an identical drive, you may be able to swap the boards and access it.

7. kjdooris

kjdooris Thread Starter

i do happen to have one - anothe rold heap of junk pc - but........ it has the same problem. i read that that particular harddrive had problems from day one - these ones just lasted longer than the other ones.

game over then.

thanks for yer help anyways.

8. JohnWill

I think the game is probably over. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice