Solved: Trying to run dxdiag /t C:temp\dxdiag.txt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jay58

Hi,

Can anyone help? I've tried loads of times this morning to complete a process to provide system info for a job that I've applied for. My instructions are to go to start menu, select run and type dxdiag /t C:temp\dxdiag.txt into the box and then to locate the file dxdiag.txt in C :\temp, which I have to email to an IT dept. For some reason after I've done the 'run' thing, I'm unable to locate the file. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that there is a way of getting system info on this site but I don't know if that will be acceptable.

Thanks in advance :)

valis

you can just go to start > run > dxdiag > enter and click the 'save all info' button. That will do the same thing, e.g. dump it in a text file, and then you can save it to your desktop or where ever you desire.

Jay58

Thank you - I've managed to sort this now :)

you can just go to start > run > dxdiag > enter and click the 'save all info' button. That will do the same thing, e.g. dump it in a text file, and then you can save it to your desktop or where ever you desire.

How? It could be of help to others.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

Jay58

Sorry, should have realised that. Here is the solution that I was sent, which worked instantly.

While on your computer desktop hold down your Windows key and simultaneously press the letter R on your keyboard.

This should display a box you can type in to…

In the box type: dxdiag

Click OK

[FONT=&quot]This should launch the diagnostic program on your computer….the program will run automatically, it usually takes around 8-10 seconds. You will see a green status bar on the bottom left of the window. When the status bar completes click 'save all information' . This will save a file called dxdiag.txt in the location that you specify - I suggest you save it to your desktop so you can find it easily?.

Hope it can be of help to someone :)
[/FONT]

How? It could be of help to others.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

Thank you.

By the way, thee was a mistake in your original syntax.
dxdiag /t C:temp\dxdiag.txt should have been dxdiag /t C:\temp\dxdiag.txt

Other than that, it was correct and corresponds to the switches that the dxdiag help shows. But it did not work for me, either. I tried multiple variations and still got no file. So it is possible that that switch was removed from newer version of DirectX after the button was added. It wasn't because you did anything wrong.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online