1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: trying to set up wifi network w/smartphone modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sheamurai, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

Hi

I'm just trying to set up my first wireless network. I've been all over the net today and can find nothing that works or matches my configuration. Ad Hocs seem to be for connecting computers, and routers are for dial up or broadband.

What I have is a desktop running XP with a wireless card. I have a wireless printer and a wireless media player. I have a SMC router, but I see no way to configure it, when its plugged it I don't see it anywhere.

My Acer Liquid E Smartphone is my modem. I have no hardline.

I have run the wizard on the desktop, but my printer cannot see the network I created, and when I list wireless networks available to connect to, my neighbours shows up but the one I created does not.

What am I missing? If someone can point me at a step by step tutorial (not video please, my cell service is not good enough for streaming video) I'd be ecstatic!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the SMC router wireless? If so, do you have a manual for it? Have you logged in to it to make sure the wireless is enabled, the SSID broadcast is enabled, and have set the SSID to your choice?

3. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

No, I don't have a manual, it was given to me. Yes, it's wireless, it has antennae off the back, lol.

I've plugged it into my desktop, but it doesn't show up anywhere where I can see to configure it...?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you looked online for a manual? It sounds as though you are starting with zero knowledge about routers, so a manual will be quite useful. What is the exact model and version of the router?

5. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

Correct - I've zero knowledge of routers. I've downloaded the manual, but when I follow the directions, I do not have the checkboxes and menu options it shows.
    It is a SMC Barricade7004VWBR
    http://www.smc.com/files/AK/HowToConfigure_SMC7004VWBR_INTERNET_WAN.pdf

I'm not sure which connection I should be using, I have three, none of them indicating that they are connected to the router. One is the wireless connection, one is Realtec PCI and the third is MAC Bridge mini port. I've clicked on all of them, and I have no option to verify TCIP and automatic IP address like the manual says.

Thanks for responding!

6. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

Ok, I removed the "bridge" from the realtec pci connection, and did get the TCIP options. They were set to what was stated in the manual. Going to reboot as per manual and run the check.

7. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

After reboot I went and did the IPCONFIG /RELEASE command as per manual, and the command window just blinked up and then closed. Obviously something not right there...

8. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

I did a repair on that connection, and now have IP addresses, but they do not match the manual values.
    Do I need to reset them?

9. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

lol...some progress...IP addresses now match...googling how to log in to router to check the values you stated above...

10. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

Unable to log in to router thru internet. I believe this is becuase I cannot connect the router directly to the modem, as I have a smartphone modem, that connects to my desktop via USB port.

I am going to run the network wizard again, just to see...

11. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

sigh...
    the network I set up still has a wee small x on it...
    My neighbours network, is wide open and available. Is it my router?

12. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

If I use their network to print my stuff, can they access my computer?

13. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

thanks...unless someone here has some insight, I'm going to have to get a tech out here to set it up for me... :(

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If your phone is functioning as a hotspot, you would connect all devices to it. The wireless router doesn't provide anything useful in this setup.

15. sheamurai

sheamurai Thread Starter

Its not currently a hotspot, its plugged in via USB cable.

Sounds like I should disconnect and use it as a hotspot? Will I be able to print docs from my computer to my printer using phone as a hotspot?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1050173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice