Solved: Turn off ACPI mode to re-install XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thankful

Dear Friends:
My harddrive on my HP Pavilion dv5000 failed. I purchased and installed a new hard drive and got the recovery CDs from HP. I loaded the CD so the computer would boot off the
CD. When I booted, after the computer indicated it was doing Windows setup I got a darkblue screen and message that my BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant. I was to update the BIOS or disable the ACPI mode. To disable ACPI, the screen said to push F7 during text mode when prompted to install storage drivers. I have no idea how to do any of this (i.e. text mode, install storage drivers, etc). Can someone help? Thank you.

leroys1000

Banned
You should be able to find BIOS update instructions at
the HP wesite support section.
This can make your computer inoperable if not done correctly.

When you start the installation,you should get a message that says
to install third party SCSI or RAID drivers press F6.
While that message is showing,press F7 and it will
disable ACPI.
You probably wont see a message,it just does it.

thankful

That worked just fine - thanks so much.

But now, I am getting this: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file ntfs.sys. " Later in the message it says to disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing (and then if I need to use Safe Mode, restart, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode" (don't I have to have windows on the computer and working before I can use safe mode?)

I am at a total loss at this point what to do. Any more thoughts. Thank you for your consideration.

You should be able to find BIOS update instructions at
the HP wesite support section.
This can make your computer inoperable if not done correctly.

When you start the installation,you should get a message that says
to install third party SCSI or RAID drivers press F6.
While that message is showing,press F7 and it will
disable ACPI.
You probably wont see a message,it just does it.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I would try to make it work with ACPI enabled if at all possible. With ACPI disabled, multiple core processors won't be recognized, and occurance of IRQ and other resource conflicts becomes a potential issue. Your PC also won't automatically shutdown when you instruct it to (you receive a "it is safe to shutdown you computer" message instead).

thankful

I came to realize that there was much more wrong with the computer than hard drive and all the other issues I have posted about. I officially gave that computer a dishonorable burial last night and went out and bought a new laptop. Thank you for your efforts to help. It was much appreciated.

I would try to make it work with ACPI enabled if at all possible. With ACPI disabled, multiple core processors won't be recognized, and occurance of IRQ and other resource conflicts becomes a potential issue. Your PC also won't automatically shutdown when you instruct it to (you receive a "it is safe to shutdown you computer" message instead).

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hopefully you donated it to a charity. And if in the USA are claiming a $1000 charitable tax deduction for it? ;)

thankful

Sorry I didn't reply - I didn't know anyone had posted anything else. Actually, a friend asked if she could try to fix it as a sort of fun challenge. So far, it still is dead - the computer not the friend!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online