1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Turn off auto suggestion in explorer search

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by newbie0007, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newbie0007

newbie0007 Thread Starter

Is there a way to disable "auto suggestion" in the Windows explorer search ? This is NOT about Internet explorer, but rather the search feature that is available under "Search" button on the tool bar of the explorer window (that shows folder contents). The search feature asks for "All of part of the file name" and then once I start typing, it shows a list of names having the prefix matching whatever I typed so far. How does one disable showing up of this list automatically ?

2. stantley

stantley

In Search click on "Change Preferences" then "Turn AutoComplete off".

3. newbie0007

Excellent! Thanks. It worked.

However, just a follow-up question. If I turn it off and then turn it on, the older suggestions are again shown. Is there a way to clear the list of suggestions ?

4. stantley

stantley

The easiest way is to get CCleaner, a free drive cleaner.

If you look under Windows Explorer it has "Windows Search Autocomplete" which should be checked by default. That will get rid of old search entries.

Just don't check anything under "Advanced" and don't run the Registry section of the program.

5. newbie0007

OK. I'm not sure where are the options you are referring to.

Meanwhile, I found another answer - deleting the entries from the registry (by using the 'regedit'). With this, I could clear up old suggestions. But for the record, you may want to clarify your suggestions.

Thanks.

6. stantley

stantley

Yes, I could have suggested to edit the registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru, but many people are hesitant to edit the registry.

The option I was talking about is called "Search Autocomplete" and not "Windows Search Autocomplete" as I had previously posted, I can see why you were confused. See the screen shot.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice