1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Turning Off/Beeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigTobster, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigTobster

BigTobster Thread Starter

Hi

I have a Clevo/Logic M76T laptop.

The problem is that it turns on and then after a short period of time (<= 5 minutes) it (hard) turns itself off. If I turn it back on again straight away, it beeps continuously and then turns off after a shorter period of time (<=60 seconds). The beeps are regular but it cuts through a beep when it turns off. There amount of beeps that it gets to before it turns off is not constant but is around the 30 mark.

It starts beeping as soon as power is initiated. It stops beeping as soon as power is lost.

If I leave the laptop for a few minutes, it won't beep at start and then just turns off after <= 5 minutes again

Initially I thought that this could be a temperature control problem. However, I no longer believe this to be true because:

1. This has happened before. After a day or so it just stopped being a pain in the ar*e
    2. I have looked after the machine since I bought it 3 years ago. The fan is working perfectly, it has recently been blown out with compressed air etc.
    3. The laptop is not hot at all.
    4. The fan is not noisy at all.
    5. Heating problems normally emit a certain amount of beeps or generate graphical problems. I am getting neither.

So, this leads me to think that it could be a mobo or processor problem. Shortly before this problem started, I blew the laptop out with compressed air. Possibly some dust has gone down the wrong hole, so to speak?

I tried to download the manual but the manufacturers website doesn't seem to support humans :mad:

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/download.asp

I suspect that the machine is dying and I just need to replace it. I would rather get some more time out of it if possible but it probably isn't worth the time and effort and expense of replacing the mobo and/or processor. Besides, I'm a clumsy oaf and have a tendency to destroy delicate circuitry :D

Anyone disagree with my conclusion? Any tips?

FYI, As a ridiculous piece of luck, my quarterly backup finished about 8 hours before the machine started having this problem. Data loss is not really an issue.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try re-seating the Ram.

If you go back to the link you posted there's an 'M74xT/M76xT' listed which could be yours. Check if yours just has the letter T in the name, there are several models with other characters after the T.

4. BigTobster

In regards to the BIOS, the website doesn't feature a solution for continuous beeps. However, Google tells me that its the RAM that needs reseating (managed is probably psychic...).

In regards to the manual, I found the very same manual. Unfortunately, the website wasn't up at bout 10PM last night but I will have another look now.

The laptop hasn't turned itself off now in a whole ten minutes. I kicked it a bit last night and left it for 6 or 7 hours. Not as scientific as reseating the RAM I grant you but surprisingly effective! Possibly solved...

5. BigTobster

OK It wasn't solved! It turned off again. I just reseated the RAM and removed a nice long sexy bit of lint from the fan. Put its clothes back on again. Will use it today and repost later as an update.

Still trying to get at the manual!

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. BigTobster

Thanks for the manual post. Downloading now

OK so it turned off again. The beeping is still regular. Interestingly, I decided to do a memory test and it started beeping maybe 10 seconds or so after the test had started. If it was a RAM error, perhaps it would start beeping as soon as the memory was engaged at boot?

Pheonix doesn't have anything official for these regular 1 second beeps which is frustrating.

I will have a look for something in the manual when it has downloaded.

In the meantime, any other ideas?

UPDATE: There is nothing in the manual regarding my beeps or my symptoms

8. BigTobster

Well I left it all day, transported the laptop across the whole of Kent by 4 different transport mediums, threw it on the floor and blow me down - it now works.

Not even a nibble. I will never understand computers!

Solution = Take the machine on a cross county adventure.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    What's next, Computer Camping Holidays ? ;)

Glad it seems fixed; though how or why could remain a mystery.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice