1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Turning on Network Capabilities for Acer Aspire 300

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SD-B, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

Acer Aspire 300

New second hand Laptop
    Just formatted and installed Vista one week ago
    have been getting online automatically as soon as I turn it on

Today I cant see any networks
    when I run the Windows Network Diagnostics

it tells me that my Network Capability has been turned off
    and that I should look for some sort of switch on the front of the side of the Laptop
    in order to enable it
    but I cannot see any such switch
    or a function key combination ( no idea )
    and I dont have a manual for this so I am not able to read where this switch might be

is there anyone there with this laptop that might tell me where it is, or what the function key combination might be, in order that I may turn on the network capability again?
    :confused:

I dont know how it turned off other than someone not very good with computers was using it briefly last night and might have done something to it...............

TIA

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That computer has no built-in wireless network capability, so you must have an add-on card.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

Thank you

As to the first few questions.........

1) Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

2) No Red X's

3) No to any in Device Mgr either

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kevin >ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kevin-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A4-3B-89-EC
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-DC-4F-6F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Kevin>

4. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

not sure if this will help, but i just took out my cable from this laptop and put it into that one, reset the modem as I always do and turned it on..........and I should have been online on that laptop, but I am not........so something is wrong with the local connection as well

now, when i went online with that laptop 2 days ago, i went onto a unsecured network. I had just turned it on and noticed that it immediately connected to someone elses network. Each time I turned it off and on, it would do the same thing, which interested me for I havent ever had that happen before

In any event, i notice in my settings, it was marked off that anyone on the network could change my settings and I am wondering, if someone on that unsecured network did just that.........for I have always been able to hop online at the very least if i put the cable into that computer.

( I was set up on a network of my own before but have just recently added a computer, reformatted one, etc, so i was about to have to go though the ordeal of networking all 3 again, but hadnt as of yet )

Admittedly, my eyes tend to glaze over when I have to diagnose problems with connectivity, so if i were just to reinstall Vista on that laptop, would that autmoatically change my settings back to where they were when I reformatted it last week?

I can afford to do that if it will work because I really havent got around to installing many programs on it yet............. and if so I assume next time I would make sure it was unchecked so no one on the network could change my settings?

As for a swtich, I still cannot find one anywhere on this laptop that will apparently turn it on.......although I cannot tell from what I pasted in the above post if it is enabled or not as it is a bit beyond my capabilities ( better with software than hardware )

5. JohnWill

I must have looked at the wrong specifications, I did another search and see it does indeed have wireless capability.

Your IPCONFIG indicates the wireless hardware is there, just not connected to any networks.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

I am sorry but I'm not clear n exactly what it is you would like me to do?
    Once I am in the command prompt, it says,
    C:\windows\system32> do u want me to type in.... netsh winsock reset catalog..right after system32>

Sorry, I just need a bit more direction...... thanks

7. JohnWill

Correct, one at a time, type in the bold text lines. Note that you MUST have followed the instructions to start the command prompt as administrator, or the resets will fail.

8. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

did it as u suggested, i followed ur directions.......typed in ( for example ) netsh winsock reset catalog....right after the system32> leaving a space between the words such as netsh...winsock...reset..catalog...

then i would press enter.....andother systems 32> came up and I did the next one, and pressed enter, and the same thing again, until I did all 3 of them.........and it appeared fine from what I was seeing, it told me to reboot and I did, but no change...............i still cant see any networks and when I daiagnose it, it says the same as before, that i have to turn it on with some button on the front, althought i cant see one........but it was working fine before, last night, and it was only when I went to turn it on after that this started to happen

what if i reinstall the vista disc, would that reset it?

and yes, i did this as an administrator.......but i only brought up the command prompt once, not 3 x, correct? And did all 3 in the one window, as opposed to brining it up 3x

i will try it one more time in about 20 min when i have a few free moments and come back and let you know if it worked then.........

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I can't seem to access anything on Acer's website, but if wireless is built in, there's either a physical on/off switch on the chassis itself or it's a key combination of FN+??. Look for a picture of a radio antenna.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Two possibilities for the wireless switch on Acer are the front of the laptop (low, where you have trouble seeing it) or the wireless assistant (which may be in the Notification Area).

11. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

thanks guys, I finally found it.......I had looked earlier for something that would make me think it was a cable by the little icon but nothing stood out at me, in fact, it doesnt appear that I do have any buttons on this laptop other than ones for email and the internet and I am not overly familiar with laptops, always having used desktops. I have oneother lap top i had to install a card at the side, which came with my Linksys router so I haent ever had this issue with it.

In any event, at the very front, down low as suggested......lol........there are two little glass spots, that almost look like what a level looks like when you are checking to see if something is balanced? I had no idea it was supposed to be a button, but when Double Helix suggested it must have an icon that looked like an attenae, I noticed that this one had what appeared to be a satellite dish---i clicked on it..nothing, as I thought it just appeared to be clear plastic, but pressed on it harder until a red light did come on, so, voila, that is apparently THE button.....lol

Anyway, it immediately went online as soon as I clicked on it for I saw my anti virus begin to download for about 3 seconds, and then went offline again. But I looked and I now can see networks but I was unable to see one that I could get on to in order that I could check it out further.
    But thats ok, for one wil pop up and now I can go ahead and get all 3 computers networked properly.

But I must say, what dumb place to put an on/off switch, let alone one that doesnt appear to be that at all..lol

/sighs............I set this up for my X Husband to use and he must have clicked it off by mistake, but at least now I know what to look for.

Thank you, all of you, for all of your help and patience!
    I wish I knew what you guys knew ;-)

please excuse typos, i am not used to a laptop keyboard--its much more sensitive than a desktop

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad you found the switch. I "collect" them. Whenever I learn the type and whereabouts of one I add it to a little file that I keep handy. I'll update it with your information about how it looks on the Acer.

If you're all set now please mark this 'Solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

13. SD-B

SD-B Thread Starter

Yes, I would be interested............and will mark this solved ( wasnt aware of that feature until now )

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!