1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Turning router into JUST a wireless access point

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foghatisamazing, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghatisamazing

foghatisamazing Thread Starter

A while back, I had trouble because my DSL modem was also a router and it wasn't communicating correctly with my Linksys wireless router:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/736978-solved-network-troubleshooting-ddns.html

I tried some stupid stuff like DDNS, which obviously wasn't a correct solution. On the 2nd page of that thread, you can see a description of turning my 2nd router into a wireless access point instead of a router. I succesfully did this, but now the interenet is VERY VERY slow (unbearably), even while using a wired connection.

The signal I had while using the Linksys as a router was fine when it worked, but very erratic. I figured I'd try using the Linksys as a wireless access point and then it became very slow. Should this be happening? Should I see such a decrease in performance?

Here's my ipconfig/all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : chris
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-85-39-F9-4B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 144.118.25.118
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 144.118.25.31

I was thinking maybe my settings weren't correct in the "advanced routing" tab in my router config screen. I did change the router from "gateway" to "router" as the menu described, but anyways, here's a screen shot. Am I missing settings that are hampering my network speed?

[​IMG]

As always, thanks for your help! You guys really know how to fix computer related things!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What speeds do you get when connected directly to the DSL modem/router?

What speeds do you get with the same computer connected to the Linksys via ethernet?

Use something like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ to test.

If they are not about the same a cable is bad, a connection is bad (loose, oxidized) or the ethernet switch part of the Linksys is failing. Of course, try different ports on the Linksys.

3. foghatisamazing

foghatisamazing Thread Starter

Well, I was first worried about the speed, but then I ran into the same problems that I was having before. I just completely ditched the Linksys firmware. I'm ussing dd-wrt right now. It seems to be working great. If I have more trouble, I'll let you guys know! Thanks.

-EyePod

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice