1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Tutorial on Windows 8 basic use

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Can someone give me a link to a tutorial on how Microsoft intends the basic use of Windows 8 to be done. Example:

How does one access and place shortcuts on the desktop to his programs without having to browse program folders looking for EXE files?

How does on access "Computer" and the drives and folders contained there?

People are driving me crazy calling me about these things and I just don't have time to explain to each individual how to solve their particular problem. I would like to be able to refer them to a web site or tutorial. By the way, they seem to have all disabled the initial Windows 8 screen that contains all those advertisements and links to "buy more" stuff.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The question whilst it seems simple is a little wide in its possible totality of HOW to use Windows 8

Possibly this may help you start
    Press the windows key
    right click below the tiles click all applications
    now right click one and you will see pin to start, pin to taskbar etc depending on which application you select. When you pin to start, you may then immediately open, by pressing windows key from the desktop and simply single click the tile you have pinned to start

Now go Control Panel Personalisation and click on right change desktop icons - there you may easily place the shortcut for computer on the desktop

Possibly as well you will find this, that I posted helpful

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1088319-windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts.html

and one from my good colleague TerryNet
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8...ws-8-desktop-gui.html?highlight=tame+terrynet

that really has only of course scratched the surface so to speak and there is much more besides.

3. raybro

raybro

Found this with Google. Looks pretty good as much as I watched. You will also fimd a builtin tutorial in Win 8. Just click the tile entitled "Getting started with Windows 8". At least my Dell laptop has one for that.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If they want to use Windows 8 pretty much like Windows 7 or Vista Taming the Windows 8 DESKTOP GUI may help. (I hope so; it's why I wrote it.)

Microsoft, at least the vice president who exited right after the Windows 8 release, intends that we use it almost like a "pure" tablet (think iPad with ports and external devices). Full screen Apps to buy stuff, watch videos, listen to music, attend to social media.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I included it in my post - as I rate it highly if I may say so

and the shortcut key guide that I posted from Windows 8 - help and support - is I think very useful. I mean the Help and support.
    A frequently overlooked resource IMHO - Windows Help and Support

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll put all of this info into an autoresponding e-mail for those who continue to call along with links to some of the Start button downloads. Maybe this'll get the monkey off my back.

7. raybro

raybro

Having been a fan of keyboard shortcuts for sometime now, the Alt+F4 method of shutdown is all I've ever used. You get a dialog window when doing so (see screenshot) with a drop down menu which includes all the same options as any shut down process (reboot, hibernate, sleep, etc.). Any time there has been a process running when I do this, Win 8 simply tells you in a blue screen message there is a process running and will shut down when it is done.

I also use Alt+F4 to close programs. Whatever window you have open and active, will close with Alt+F4. Its really no different than hitting the red X in the upper-right corner.

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice