Solved: TV Converter Box or DTV Converter Box

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LoveGoldens

Larry
I've searced everywhere that I can find to locate a URL to a "current (2009) Comparison Review" of DTV Converter boxes.

I have only (4) days left to purchase 2 of them with the coupons I have. An online purchase may not be feasible due to shipping time. But, the government listed many local stores in my zipcode (94606) and/or (94501) that carry "coupon-eligible converter boxes."

Every review that I found was dated 2007 or 2008. My hope is that by now (2009), hardware technology and software on these units will have improved. Of course, I prefer to buy latest technology rather than 1 or 2 year old technology for the same expenditure.

I'm trying to find a side-by-side comparision with recommendations for the best ones. Of course, I'm hoping for an unbiased review! That's difficult on the www!

I've been to Tom's Hardware Guide, Cnet (which was no help at all) and many other links! Cnet listed only 2 in their review, and their review was way out of date). I've visited at least 15 or 20 other URL's, but none gave me what I want. None were current nor definitive.

Can anybody here advise me on what to avoid and/or which Brand/Model delivers best performance, both "on-screen" software, and superior technological design?

I think one of the following had a A+ rating. But, I'm not sure at the moment. I didn't save the URL:

-- DISH Network TR-40CRA
-- DISH Network DTVPal/Plus

Have any of you bought a product Brand/Model that you love and can recommend? Looking for 'bells and whistles' etc., but mostly "control" features for image quality and signal handling. Neither of my two TV's have HD by default.

My two TV Converter Box coupons are at $40.00 each. Of course, I'm willing to pay beyond that for quality units.

Your timely replies will be appreciated greatly! Thanks.

LoveGoldens

Larry
Your comment got me wondering, so I checked with them. Here's the reply I just received:

------ below ------
Our system indicates that your coupon(s) are still valid. You can redeem your coupon(s) at one of the participating retailers. Be sure to purchase an eligible converter box model from the list of eligible boxes at www.DTV2009.gov/Boxes.aspx.

PLEASE NOTE: Coupons are valid until 12AM Eastern Standard Time of the date printed on the coupon.

Sincerely,

LORNA SIMONS
Consumer Support
TV Converter Box Coupon Program
---------
I still have a chance! Ha ha.

Thanks for your thought.

LoveGoldens

Larry
Some of those coupons expired early due to the program running out of funds.
The government did NOT run out of funds (to cover my coupons). My coupons were negotiable at the time I wanted to buy 2 converter boxes, but the online retailer screwed-up so badly, I couldn't get the order placed in time! I made 6 phone calls to the retailer's "Support" personnel, and each person was from India and couldn't speak English well enough for me to even understand them. Plus, each one of them told me something different. They didn't even understand their company's ordering process. The screwed me.

I re-applied to receive 2 more coupons. I qualified to re-apply because my coupons had not been used.

I'm still waiting for them to be sent to me.

Thanks for your reply!

I got two coupons (one for each TV), redeemed one and let the other expire. I have yet to plug the converter in. Probably should, just to be sure it works, but haven't had the TV on for anything other than watching a DVD in over a year anyway. I suppose I could since I have the box and a set of rabbit ears ....

LoveGoldens

Larry
Thank you, AKAJohnDoe, for your reply.

A small side-note:

When I read your 'signature' message, it reminded me of a book I read nearly 40 years ago. It was titled "Be Glad You Are Neurotic." -- One of the most informative books I've ever read!

Have a great day and a fun, safe, weekend!

Published in 1949, so it was already 20 years in print when you read it. What's the synopsis?

The DTV converter boxes that I use are Zenith DTT901. They are ok with an outdoor
antanna. I bought 2 of them at Circuit City. I think you can find them at Radio Shack
if you need to use your coupons. At this time we are getting 15 channels over the
air but I am very close to a medium size city . Thats good enough for me. Hope this helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online