1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: TV loses signal

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by beachykeen, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beachykeen

beachykeen Thread Starter

Hi, my Panasonic TH42-PZ80U plasma TV has gone blue with an error message: "Channel not available (no signal)." It's possible a button on the remote was hit accidentally. I've worked
    with the remote (w/new batteries) and manual controls to try to fix it. No go.
    This has happened before. It is as much a mystery how it gets fixed as how it breaks.
    Any help you can give will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello there! Welcome to TSG!

I know what you mean. Sometimes the systems can get really confusing.

My first suggestion is to find the "input" selector on the remote. Make sure the TV input is chosen for what you are wanting to view (satellite input, cable, etc.)

Another option is that some number was chosen for a channel that is unavailable. Choose a channel you know shows available programming.

3. beachykeen

Thanks, Drabdr,
    Actually, I tried both the TV and CBL remote buttons.
    Then, I tried the TV/Video manual button. Also, have tried specific channels
    as well as channel arrow buttons. (Already checked cables/wires, too.)
    Still no change.

4. beachykeen

I just moved here from another state, but this happened before I moved too.
    So I don't attribute it to my server.

5. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Ok... Be patient with me; I need to get a feel of what you're seeing. :)

So you turn the power on the TV, it powers up; but you cannot view any of your desired inputs. Correct?

If you put in a DVD movie, can you see the video on the screen?

In addition, you can't see any of your cable channels. Correct?

6. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

Do a channel scan and also check your antenna ( if over-the-air, the antenna may have shifted.)

7. beachykeen

Okay, I'm patient; hope you are. :)
    Presently, no DVD player is hooked up. The coaxial cable comes from the wall into the converter box then on to the Antenna/cable in plug on the back of the TV. It has
    been like that since the cable guy installed it. I've been watching it with no problem for a couple weeks.
    When it powers on, I see snow & a channel #. Then it goes black, a few seconds later it turns blue with the error message floating around on it.
    I punched in 6 different channels I normally watch, but no change in the display.
    Also, when I try to change the channel when it first powers up, it still doesn't change to any other channel.

8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    :)
    Ok, no problem. It would just give us another source other than the converter box.

Ok, so it worked fine for a couple of weeks, and then now you can't watch anything. Is that correct?

It sounds like to me that your television needs to be switched to the input for the converter box. I think your TV is in antenna input mode and is looking for channels; but since there is no antenna and no channels, there is nothing there.

Set aside your cable remote for a second. If you have the TV remote in your hand, is there an "input" button on there? If yes, then press it. What does the screen say?

9. beachykeen

Well, using only the TV remote, I pressed TV/Video; it's set to TV
    Pressed MENU; set to Viera Link; pressed SUBMENU; set to surf mode. Still, no change.

Just thought to mention: I noticed that when I press PWR on the converter box, it will light up a BYPASS button, if I hit it again it goes simply to PWR button where I have it set.
    I really appreciate your time. Do you have some more ideas?
    Thanks.

10. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Ok, this is good. Isn't your cable box running into the "Video" connection on your TV? Look where it attaches, and see if it says "Video" above the connection.

If it does not say "Video", what does it say right above the connection (where the cable box connects to the television)?

11. beachykeen

The converter box cable connects to "Antenna-Cable In" plug on TV back.

12. beachykeen

A cable guy mentioned this:
    Press "04" on the TV remote to return to functional mode.
    Hey, it took him a couple of tries to fix too.
    Thank all of you for your help; I learned a bit from it.

13. beachykeen

Btw, I had pressed the channel "4" a number of times,
    but it was the "04" that worked.
    Thanks again.

14. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    (y)

I didn't get a chance to respond when you stated what the input was. But I was going to get around to verifying the channels.

Good! I appreciate you checking back in and letting us know what the solution was. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice