1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: two 3-pin fans, 4 pin splitter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dougx789, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have two 3-pin fans (Case fans) and went to buy a splitter to connect them both to the same motherboard header. ( I want them both running at the same speed)

The splitter I bought is a 4 pin PWM fan splitter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CB...8&qid=1424313507&sr=8-1&keywords=fan+splitter
    (late night and first braided one I saw that looked like it was good quality)

One header of the splitter has all four pins, the other has pins 1, 2 & 4.

So the first fan will have pins 1, 2 & 3 and the second will only have pins 1 & 2

Am I right in think that by hooking up my fans like this, the first fan will be detected by the motherboard (via pin 3) and the same voltage, therefore speed will be sent to both fans?

Or will the second fan just run at full speed all the time?

Is there any disadvantage to using this cable / would there be any advantage to having a 3pin splitter to two 3pin headers?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only the one fan will be monitored(seen) by the motherboard, but both will be affected/controlled by any speed changes; both should run at the same speed if they are identical fans. You can't have two fans monitored if you use one fan header.

3. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks for confirming that!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice