1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Two operating systems?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Schurk, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schurk

Schurk Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for reading this post,

My setup:

Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo J
    Motherboard: Asus P5SD2 FM/S
    Cpu: Intel Dual Core 2GhZ
    2Gb Ram
    (graphics card: Asus EN7600 GS Silent)
    Disk 0: 200 Gb Sata
    Disk1:Seagate 750 Gb IDE

Disk 0 is currently 1st slave
    Disk 1 is 3d master
    My DvdRW drive is 3d slave

My OS, Windows XP SP2 is on Disk 1, on the C: partition.

I would like to backup my OS from Disk 1 to a partition on Disk 0 (using true image 10 home). I have created a 10Gb primary partion on this Disk 0, the last 190 Gb will be used for the storage of images to restore Disk 1 in case of corruption of the OS, corruption of the NTFS file table etc.

How can I best do this? I fear that when booting, the Backup OS on Disk 0 will be automatically picked for booting. I don't want this, as I want the OS on the faster 750 GB hdd to boot.

I was thinking myself:
    - place an image of the OS on disk 1 of the first primary partition disk 0

In case of failure:
    1) Switch power of
    2) Set jumper settings for DVD rom drive to master
    3) Set jumper settings for 750 GB IDE drive thats crashed to slave
    4) Make 200GB SATA drive 1st master
    5) Replace 750 Gb IDE drive in the BIOS with 200 GB SATA drive
    6) Exit BIOS with F10
    7) BOOT MS recovery console -> create MBR on disk 0 with FIXMBR, mark as ACTIVE with DISKPART
    8) MS recovery console ->DISKPART -> Remove boot partition on 750 GB IDE drive
    9) BOOT the 200GB sata drive, create a primary partition on the 750 Gb with the free space of the first (removed) bootable partition
    10) run True Image 10 Home and copy an image of the 200Gb sata system to the fresh partition on the 750 Gb drive
    11) Restore Master/slave settings, BIOS boot order etc, remove MBR from Sata drive, mark SATA drive as inactive

Five questions:
    1) Will the above plan lead to a working, booting OS on my 750 Gb IDE drive in case of failure? If not, what should be done so this is the case
    2) Will the OS on the Sata drive not interfere with the OS on the IDE drive? If not, what should I do different to produce this effect.
    3) Where do I get an image for a bootable MS DOS disc with FDISK that is able to create and remove MBR's on both drives

The system suffered serious Grandmals (resulting in a corrupt NTFS file system that could not be repaired), which is why I needed to install Windows XP again on a new drive (the 750 Gb IDE one). Before I installed, I created two bootable devices in the hopes these OS's on these devices contained files to fix the problem. One of these devices was a disc burned with Nero Burning Rom's Caldera DrDos and the other was a USB drive that thought it was a floppy, that contained an image of a Windows XP MSDOS floppy.
    4) Why wasn't my USB-floppy-disc-stick able to access the C: drive of the corrupted drive (which was listed in the BIOS)
    5) Why said Caldera's drdos that fdisk wasn't able to create delete partitions

2. lara84

lara84

we can easily install the two operating systems on your hard disk to make it as a primary or one as a master and another one as a slave it for .two hard disks ,in a single hard disk we can easily feed two operating systems but it need lot of configurations....................
    ----------------------------------------------
    Lara
    SreeVysh Corp

3. Schurk

Schurk Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply, lara84, and offering to install two OS's for me, but I really do want to do this myself and without installing any third party software (like bootmagic etc).

Regards,
    Schurk

4. Soundy

Soundy

Umm, your BIOS should allow you to select which drive you want to boot from, no need to be changing jumpers, MBRs, or anything else. Depending on the BIOS, there may be a "BBS Menu" option that will let you select the boot disk at startup; otherwise, it probably has the option to select the boot sequence of hard disk, optical disk, floppy disk, and others... and you just select WHICH hard disk you want it boot from.

If your system is corrupted anyway, I'd suggest doing the following:

Unplug the bad drive.
    Set the good drive as the boot disk in the BIOS.
    Do a clean Windows install to the good drive.
    Plug the bad drive back in.
    The system should still boot from the new drive, and the old drive will appear as the next available letter in Windows. Copy your necessary files from the old disk to the new one, and you're golden.

5. Schurk

Schurk Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Soundy!

Of course I should set the boot sequence in the BIOS. If there is an OS on the good drive than this should work of course. I thought this was not the case, as, after I installed the good hdd (which had no OS on it) I might have imagined removing the bad hdd from the boot menu in the BIOS then, which is why I thought that only changing the booting order in the BIOS was not a solution. Heat of the moment mistake eh?

So I guess my 'problem' is solved then! No need to answer these other questions about DOS etc, as I wont be needing the answers (til maybe later, but then I will open a new topic).

Thanks again Soundy, for your 'sound' reply!! (no pun intended:) )

6. Soundy

Soundy

The one catch is, you really want to unplug the old drive while you're installing Windows on the new drive... if the installation finds the existing system, it will create a different drive letter for the new drive and your system could end up installed in E:\Windows or something. Had that happen to me once, it was a PITA. You might be able to get away with just disabling the drive or controller in the BIOS, but simply unplugging it is 100% sure to do the trick. Once Windows is installed and running on the new drive, then plug the old one back in.

7. padutch

padutch

my gateway lets me set the hd I want to boot first in the bios . I have 2 hd's each with an os on them . one is c the other is d . Both have 2 partitions . I have both hd's jumpers set at cable sellect and the primary hd connected to the last plug in the cable as it is supposed to be . The first time I booted up was to c drive . I went to my computer , clicked to open it . Clicked on D and in the root of D made a new folder . This new folder XX was then copied to the desktop of C as a shortcut . Everything I do on C drive a copy is saved in that folder and when I open D that folder is in the root of D .

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice