1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Two People - One Gets Spam E-mail One Doesn't

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by aarhus2004, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered Thread Starter

Hello,

I will call them Alf and Ben.

Alf runs WinXP
    Ben runs WinME

Both use the same ISP.(Shaw.ca)
    Both use I.E.6 and O.E.6

Alf has a new Dell Computer.
    Ben has an old Supra (Vancouver B.C.) one.

Alf had his computer setup by a geek-type.
    Ben is a do-it-your-selfer.

Ben has a router.
    Alf doesn't.

Alf gets spam.

What most likely accounts for this difference?

Each of us are cautious (conservative) types - and older too.

In what area should Alf be looking in order to prevent spam in his e-mail.

Thanks for any advice.

Ben. :confused:

And an edit. On a website (mine) Alf's e-mail address is listed as alfatshaw.ca.

2. steve martini

steve martini

Sometimes it just as simple as replying to emails that have been sent to your, or even the simple act of opening emails sent to you. If you have email client setup to display html and images, spammers can see that the email they sent arrived and was opened by someone:

"The no reponse deal goes for spam email as well -- never respond to junk email. Don't click on the links, don't even open the email if you already know it is junk. Many spammers will put content in their email that will let them know that you've opened and seen the email, thereby informing them that your email address is good; if possible you want them to think that you don't exist." -- http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/20/74/

Also, Cert has some great pointers on how to avoid unwanted spam:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST04-007.html

Hope this helps!

3. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered Thread Starter

Hello Steve,

Thanks for responding. I read those links and I have a possible clue as to what Alf has been doing; which is when he has signed-up for anything he has used the only e-mail address he has ever had. I always have used an alternative.

The solution for him would be to start over with a new address and set up another account which he only uses when giving out his e-mail address.

Appreciate it.

Ben.

4. steve martini

steve martini

Sounds about right. I always use a @yahoo.com account for signups and form fillin's etc... never use my main email account for stuff like that. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice