1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Two separate formula conditions in one cell

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mmdmalta, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmdmalta

mmdmalta Thread Starter

Hello i am trying to figure out how to have to formulas (or conditions) in one cell. For example I have a cell where i want to have one condition insert 7%, and one condition to insert 5%. The current formula i have now is

=IF(O198<1+O198,7%), but i also want the column p198 to be 5%, and i want the formula in the Q cell. (if cell o198 is greater than 1.00 i want it to insert 7% in column Q, if P cell is than 1.00 i want it to insert 5% in the Q cell. Both columns will not have a dollar amount, only one or the other.

Please advise, i'm pulling my hair out. I know the first formula is correct, but how do i get the second half of it.

Thank you

mmdmalta

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Try

=IF( O198 > 1 , 0.07, 0.05 )

if you want = 1 or greater

=IF( O198 >= 1 , 0.07, 0.05 )

3. mmdmalta

mmdmalta Thread Starter

Hi Wayne,

That still didn't not work. It return 7% in the Q cell, but when I tried to enter the total that i wanted in the other cell so that it would read 5% it just returned 7%. Any other suggestions.

MMDmalta

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not without see a sample sheet - so i can fully understand what is being entered

Please upload a sample of your workbook to the forum, Make sure you have removed any private information, remember this is a public forum and so available to anyone
    Would like to see an example of your data and also a manual mock up of the expected results you want to achieve.

5. mmdmalta

mmdmalta Thread Starter

ok, how do i download it to this post. Can't find an icon or anything indicating attaching a file?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    To upload to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

7. mmdmalta

mmdmalta Thread Starter

Ok Wayne,

Attached is the section of the workbook (everything else i removed for privacy) It's pretty self explanatory once you open it up. But basically I want column "Q" to automatically insert either 5% or 7%. If i put any $ amount in column "O" (new monthly), then I want cell "Q" to read 7%. If i enter any $ amount in Column "P", (recurring monthly), then I want it to read 5%. I hope that is a better explaination.

mmdmalta

Attached Files:

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    will O and P be a zero if the other column is used

IE
    O will be zero and P have a value
    P will be zero and O have a value

The rules seem to have changed

you say
    BUT before you mentioned a Value of >1 and <1 for the 7 and 5%

=IF( O198>0 , 0.07, IF( P198>0, 0.05, "O and P is zero"))

if you want a zero or blank if no entry made then change "O and P is zero" to a 0 for zero and "" for a blank

see attached using 0

Attached Files:

9. mmdmalta

mmdmalta Thread Starter

i'm sorry, i may have confused you. Yes.... O and P be a zero if the other column is used. I didn't know how else to do it, so i used less than 1. But that is correct. If O is used then P will have a zero. If P is used than O will have a zero.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    done - see last post and attachment

11. mmdmalta

mmdmalta Thread Starter

Thank you Wayne. It worked!!!! you are a genius!! I will make sure i recommend you!! Thanks again.

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome (y) thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice