1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Two Technical Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrazyCat4, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble with a couple of technicalities and was wondering whether you would be kind enough to try and help out...

The first is that my MP4 player isn't recognised when I plug it in any more. I've checked the wire and USB socket are fine and ran through info on the manufacturer's site, but it still won't "Beep-beep" on plugging it in and let me sync new songs to it with Windows Media Player because the device isn't found (bizarrely, it does make a "Beep" sound when I unplug it). Also, for some odd reason, the device has started appearing in a box titled "Safely Remove Hardware" (perhaps this is relevant to situation).

The second issue is even more of a problem – the fact my computer won't play DVDs any more. Players no longer recognise DVD information and a box pops up on WMP (the player I use most often) after a while saying "DVD Playback Graph has not been built yet".

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Crazy Cat :>)

PS - the operating system is Windows XP.

2. valis

valis Moderator

for the both problems, go to start > run > compmgmt.msc and click on disk management.

You should see you system disk, your dvd disk, and your mp4 player (if it's plugged in). Let us know if they are both showing up as healthy.

thanks,

v

3. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the swift response...

I did as you suggested. The C drive (System) and the DVD are registering as healthy (even though the DVD won't play). The MP4 player doesn't appear on the Disk Management list despite being plugged in.

4. valis

valis Moderator

go to start > run > sysdm.cpl > hardware tab > device manager > remove your dvd player and reboot, see if it finds the drivers and reinstalls it.

thanks,

v

5. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

It will let me "disable" or "uninstall" the DVD player. Seems a big step, though. Would I be alright in terms of re-activating it if doesn't do so by itself upon rebooting?

6. valis

valis Moderator

yup. all it (the os) will do is try to find drivers for it, and as it used to work, you have drivers for it. Question is whether or not those drivers have become corrupt.

7. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

Rightio. I'll give it a whirl.

8. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

...Afraid it didn't work. Uninstalled the DVD facility and rebooted (whereupon it reinstalled itself and appeared back on the device manager list as you mentioned), yet DVDs still won't play. CDs still play fine. Does this mean the DVD player is corrupted?

9. valis

valis Moderator

well, if cd's are playing fine, that means the laser is reading fine........probably something to do with your media. Google for free dvd players, download one, and have a go with that.

better yet, look for media player classic. It shipped with 95, and is too stupid to know that it's not supposed to work with all the new technology. All the dvd's I have problems with I first try to open with media player classic and see if I can play them with that. If not, usually a codecs issue.

10. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

Media Player Classic does the trick. Cheers. Good to know the laser's still in working order. Hmmm...What might be the problem with Windows Media Player?

11. valis

valis Moderator

sometimes the apps get 'too smart' for their own good, and it's easier to go back to the dumb apps that worked brilliantly. Norton System Works springs to mind. When Peter Norton ran it, it was small and it did it's job. Norton got ahold of it and decided it should do it's job along with about 450 other jobs, and it grew into some loathsome bloatware thing; nowadays, from what I hear, it's back down to a pretty solid app.

Glad it worked. Feel free to mark it solved in the upper right hand corner. Hope you stick around; we need more hardware experts. (y)

cheers,

v

12. CrazyCat4

CrazyCat4 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your assistance, Valis. Would uninstalling and then reinstalling Windows Media Player perhaps address the issues, or would I have to use another player/facility for the MP4 device?

13. valis

valis Moderator

no, as wmp is software; the device manager oversees hardware.....you'd have to reinstall it from the MS site if you uninstalled it.

Personally, I use a third party app for my dvd playing, usually nero or some such.....there's a zillion free ones out there, just go to freewarefiles.com and search for dvd players.........that's one place to start.

thanks, and again, hope to see you stick around.

v

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!