1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: UAC problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RKramden, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RKramden

RKramden Thread Starter

Hi All,

I used Laplink's PC Mover to transfer my programs & files from my XP install to my Win7 install (Home Premium). The Win7 install is on a partition of the XP drive. Long story shorter, when I open Firefox (and other programs) I am constantly getting the window from UAC to allow (in the Firefox case) Java to make changes to the computer. Is there any way (short of shutting down UAC totally) to have Win7 remember these permissions? I have already set all the respective programs to run as administrators and I am running them from my administrator account. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I never use software to move programs from one OS to another, they just can't do a good job of finding and transferring all of the necessary registry entries, I suggest re-installing those problem programs.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I agree, you should uninstall and then re-install the programs. There were just too many changes to the way things work to transfer over for some programs.

Also, if you set the program to Run as administrator that guarantees a UAC prompt. In order to Run as administrator, you have to get permission from UAC. You should uncheck that for all program shortcuts, and on the programs themselves if you set it in both places.

If the programs still prompt, then re-install.

4. Roxz

Roxz

You can disable UAC

Go to User Account Control Settings.
    Type in UAC, or go to the System and Security applet.
    Click on the "Change User Account Control Settings" link.
    BTW, you can also type in this command from the Run menu:
    C:\Windows\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To turn UAC back on, move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

5. barky24

barky24

I have the same as you... dell with windows 7 and I also transferred some files via laplink. All files transferred fine and all data is there. The only problem that I have and I'm wondering if you also have the same problem, is that I keep having the message "user profile space has been exceeded". Has anyone experienced this and how do I correct or change this? Every time I log off I have to force shut this file down. It keeps running every time my computer is running. It is running constantly and I cannot click on any file or move it or open them. The files I am seeing are my music files, pictures, etc that are all showing in their correct programs. Anyone have suggestions on this? Changing ACS doesn't do anything to stop this. I'm new to windows 7 so any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This should fix the Profile Space issue:
    User Profile Space Exceeded

I wouldn't think it's related to using laplink program, unless those settings were present on the old system.

7. barky24

barky24

Thanks for the info. looks like the ProfileQuotaMessage was the only one that showed up. After typing this I will try to reboot and see what happens. It is no longer showing in the hidden icon on the taskbar, so that tells me it's fixed. Thanks.

8. RKramden

RKramden Thread Starter

Thanks for the help folks, Shutting down UAC isn't really an option, so I guess I'll just deal with it.
    I haven't seen the User Profile Space error. (fortunately).

Thanks again

(Maybe MS will issue a TweakUI for Win 7 and that'll help me)

9. RKramden

RKramden Thread Starter

Hey Folks,

I found a little program that you can download that does just what I needed. it can be found here http://www.itknowledge24.com/

It's called UAC controller tool. Works like a champ!! Haven't seen those annoying permission requests since I installed it and ran it.

With this program, I'm marking this problem SOLVED!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice