1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ubuntu 14.04 freezing

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mardigrasvet, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mardigrasvet

mardigrasvet Thread Starter

have only ubuntu 14.04 on my compaq presario and it has worked wonderfully. consistent problem is this: i always "suspend" when done using computer and every morning when i begin checking emails, etc. the computer eventually freezes. the routine is so frequent, i shut down the computer using the power button and start it up again. the rest of the day, i will have no problems. any clues/help will really be appreciated. thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This seems to be a rather blatant contradiction.

There are a LOT of different pressarios so post the exact model#
    Next why not just shutdown at the end of the day?

Given that compaq was purchased by hp a number of years ago, your system may not be up to running ubuntu with the unity desktop. It may be more suited to running a less demanding desktop manger like MATE or xfce.

3. mardigrasvet

thanks. it is a v2000 model with memory: 874.2 MiB; processor: AMD turion(tm) 64 mobile technology ML-30; graphics: gallium 0.4 ati rs 48; OS: 32-bit; disk: 56.5 gb.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, that laptop is 10yrs old. It is not really up to running a modern os like ubuntu. There are distros specifically built to run old hardware and I would install one of those. Lubuntu is one that comes to mind however your laptop may be too old for that as well. Lubuntu is based on ubuntu however it is designed for netbooks and old computers.

5. mardigrasvet

thanks for the info. would never have thought of the reason without your telling me.

6. mardigrasvet

i installed lubuntu but when starting up, i am given a choice of ubuntu 14.04 and open box and not lubuntu. when i search apps and choose lubuntu, i can see that many lubuntu items are installed. i can continue with ubuntu because my needs are not that great but if i can speed things up with lubuntu, i would like to know how to choose that upon startup.

the amount of ram i have might be important. if i can run lubuntu and it works fine, then maybe i can dump ubuntu 14.04?

memory total-874
    mem used-803
    mem free-71
    mem shared-5
    mem buffers-9
    mem cached-235

-/+ buffers/cached used-557
    ditto free-316

swap total-2379
    swap used-22
    swap free-2357

thanks for any help.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think all distributions based off Ubuntu have the boot menu stating Ubuntu. They do not say 'Lbuntu' or something like that.

8. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I've run Lubuntu in 'live' mode and had a Lubuntu splash screen on boot up, and no mention of Openbox.

Did you install Lubuntu from within Ubuntu (synaptic or Software Centre) or did you download the .iso and make a bootable DVD/USB and boot from that?

9. mardigrasvet

i googled lubuntu and downloaded from there. did not use a usb.
    have no idea what a "live" mode is. thanks for the help.

10. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

When you downloaded the .iso did you create a bootable dvd by 'burning' the .iso to it using a prog such as xfburn?
    Sorry, I should have clarified ... 'Live' mode is booting from the 'burned' DVD or bootable USB and running a Linux version but not installing it.

11. mardigrasvet

no, i did not create a bootable dvd; i just clicked on download and put in on my computer. do not know if i can burn a dvd but can burn a cd. of course, can use usb too.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is why you get the menu; you are running ubuntu with the option of open box [open box is a desktop/window mgr]

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to run lubuntu; then go to their site and download the distro. Make the bootable usb and clean install. During the install, choose to use the full disk and erase anything on the disk. Here is a link to the home page for lubuntu;
    http://lubuntu.net/

Be sure to make a backup of anything important ie docs, pics, etc.

14. mardigrasvet

when i dbl clk to open the usb download, i am offered the option of "restore disk image" and do not know what to clk. choices are: none; 60gb hard disk; 7.9gb usb. for what it is worth, i downloaded the regular and the torrent version. does it make a difference which one i use?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should be downloading an iso image. Is that what you downloaded AND did you get if from the lubuntu page?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice