1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ubuntu 7.04 Just Not Working

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by doomlord289, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doomlord289

doomlord289 Thread Starter

The PC I'm working on:
    HP Pavilion 9800
    1GHz AMD Athlon
    128MB 133MHz RAM
    Unknown video card
    60GB HD

Here's the deal:
    I first tried booting my Ubuntu 7 live cd. I found out that I need at least 256MB RAM to do that. Then I downloaded the alternate cd. That booted just fine, so I hit install in text mode. That went smoothly until the screen that said (I believe) "Select and install software" came up. The installation froze at 6%. I retried that and the same thing happened. I then moved to the OEM install. That worked just fine. So I finished the install and then tried to boot my new linux box. NOPE. At the Ubuntu splash screen the progress bar froze at about 1/16 of the way across. I, as a Windows user, instinctively tried rebooting. NOPE. Same thing happened again.

That is where my first linux installation is at right now. As you can see I'm quite stuck. I am thinking about buying a 256MB RAM module for this old comp, but I'd rather not spend the cash if I don't need to.

I am planning to use this computer as a personal download and storage server which I will administer remotely via SSH or VNC (whichever is best at the time).

Any linux gurus out there that could give me some advise?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

3. doomlord289

Thanks for the links, but they suggest that my computer *should* be able to run a full ubuntu install. I'll try the server install, but I think I'll just spend the extra $30 and get a 256MB stick. I'll report back when I've tried the server install.

Update:
    I tried the command line installation method. That installed just fine, but when I booted up again several things happened.
    1. This I've noticed on all my boots, but it didn't stay long enough to write it down, but I got it this time:
    [ 1556.660035] PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6: [email protected] for 0000:01:00.0
    2. The boot froze at *Loading hardware drivers...

Any ideas on what the problem is?

4. briealeida

briealeida

FWIW, the server install's not that bad and if it's GUI that you want, the install of that is command-line based, if that makes sense.

The server install uses very little resources, I *think* fewer than alternate but I'm not sure.

5. doomlord289

I guess I could try the server install. I'll report back after I've tried.

One thing that just hit me is that this comp isn't connected to the network yet. Should I hook it up before trying something else?

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Loading hardware drivers is one of the first things to happen at boot time, so if it failed to allocate memory resources to do that - it ain't gonna happen as you found out.

At this point I would:
    1) visit the Ubuntu forum for advice, and/or
    2) retry a total install from start - sometimes it takes a few tries to get it really right for your hardware (don't know whether that's the problem here), but nevertheless, I would give it a try if you are up to it.

-- Tom

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi doomloard289,

I would never have a system hooked up to the network while installing it - too many security risks. After the install and you have a firewall at a minimum, then you could try hooking up to the Internet.

-- Tom

8. doomlord289

I just had another idea: Would it help if I removed the 2 PCI devices hooked up? They are just the old modem and a sound card. Seeing as this is going to be a server, I don't think I'll need either. Problem is I don't have any antistatic areas in my house. Would they be safe in a small cardboard box until I get some antistatic bags?

Haven't started the server install yet. Still waiting for the download to finish.

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

That would make sense to remove the modem and sound card. They would probably be safe in a small cardboard box as long as you don't walk around in your socks on rugs and then touch them. Do get the anti-static bags though.

Good luck with the server install - keep us posted.

-- Tom

10. doomlord289

Well I removed the sound card and modem and it's working fine now in command line mode.

Anyone know any good sites that will help me learn the command line?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've found that when installing Ubuntu on systems with less than 256 RAM, it helps a great deal to have a large swap file, and preferably one that is already configured when you start the installation (one that the LiveCD can use). If you already have a swap partition when you boot the LiveCD, it will automatically mount it.

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi doomlord289,

Try this .doc document: Linux Guide download here.

Look for the Download as Linux.doc link. Open it with OpenOffice.org - i.e. /usr/bin/openoffice

-- Tom

13. doomlord289

Well I managed to get the GUI working. The only thing I have left to do is get a firewall and then hook it up to my router and get a few more apps then this is done.

Thank you all for your help thus far. I will keep this thread "unsolved" until this project is complete, but it should be smooth sailing from here on out.

14. doomlord289

OK everything is running fine. This thread is solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice